Roadster exhaust - what is the limiting factor / what to tackle first

Stillserving

LET'S GO BRANDON
Ride
86' Magna, 2017 R3R
OK,
'17 Roadster so there is no "catbox", as the cats are in the cans-correct?

There are 3 basic portions of the exhaust as I see it:

1) Headers
2) Crossover
3) Cans

Headers are a category all to themselves. Obviously a good set of headers is a key component. I am more down to cans vs. crossover. I have read on here that some go for cans first and aren't so worried about the crossover, while others have said that the crossover is the most limiting factor and that a good crossover with stock cans does just as much if not more than the stock crossover with aftermarket cans.

I don't mind a little louder exhaust, but I'm not looking for loud pipes. I kinda like the sound it puts out now, but I'm not opposed to a little more growl, just don't want to go deaf. I was leaning towards a crossover pipe (probably Paul's), with either K&N or RamAir (there's another thread I posted about that dilemma), then a header down the road. MAYBE de-catting the cans and possibly either removing the baffels or just going with TORS if I can find them.

You can get a better crossover, and cut out the baffles with a hole saw. It'll give you more sound and better air flow. Adding better air filters will help too.

If you are happy with the stock look, the TORS have a bigger throat and along with a crossover which will allow the gasses to flow better, you will end up with a deeper sound...very satisfying. You can retain this setup with either K&Ns or Ramair also.

From what I've gathered so far from all the posts and trial and error of others, the CAT is the number one thing to get rid of whether it's in the can itself or the crossover. After that, according to PENNER's dyno testing the crossover itself is second.
If you have a 2017, then TOR's would be the easiest way to delete the CAT. It will be louder, which for some people is good.
There are also ways to remove the CAT from your stock cans, but it requires some work.

It was interesting to see from PENNER's tests that the difference between stock pipes with the CAT's deleted and TOR's was negligible and that low end torque was actually slightly less with the TOR's. ( 2" diameter vs 1.5" )

Of course as you stated, headers are a separate category and a quantum leap in performance, and it would be a waist to install a nice header without doing the other things first.

As an example of a free flow cross over pipe this is what I build.

J.jpg

This is the insides of your stock Roadster/Touring cross over.
Hence the difference a free flow cross over would make.

IMG_0619B.jpg

I'm currently working on this twin muffler system with a 2" cross over pipe.
As you can see I have this set up on my bike and have been testing (that is doing lots of miles) and modifying it.
Have it pretty much sorted now.
I've designed this to slide straight onto the stock header, or of coarse my free flow header.

A.JPG

I fitted first TORS with Triumph map. More mellow sound but not too loud at all. Slight performance increase.
Next was RamAir. Beautiful induction roar and seemed to add to performance.'d call
Finally cross over pipe. Increase in noise again but still not what I'd call loud.

Yes there are headers but it depends on how much an increase in power you're looking for and how deep are you pockets.

Crossover + Mufflers (Tors or similar) and a tune will net a nice sound and a good bit more power.

If you don't want louder, don't touch the exhaust.

OK,
'17 Roadster so there is no "catbox", as the cats are in the cans-correct?

There are 3 basic portions of the exhaust as I see it:

1) Headers
2) Crossover
3) Cans

Headers are a category all to themselves. Obviously a good set of headers is a key component. I am more down to cans vs. crossover. I have read on here that some go for cans first and aren't so worried about the crossover, while others have said that the crossover is the most limiting factor and that a good crossover with stock cans does just as much if not more than the stock crossover with aftermarket cans.

I don't mind a little louder exhaust, but I'm not looking for loud pipes. I kinda like the sound it puts out now, but I'm not opposed to a little more growl, just don't want to go deaf. I was leaning towards a crossover pipe (probably Paul's), with either K&N or RamAir (there's another thread I posted about that dilemma), then a header down the road. MAYBE de-catting the cans and possibly either removing the baffels or just going with TORS if I can find them.
My advice would be replace the link Pipe and fit factory TORS (meaning "Triumph Of Road" performance upgrade pipes made by Triumph just in case you didn't know ) and load up a good Tuneecu map this will liven it a sensible amount and remove the low gear limiters .
You did say you only want it a little louder so maybe aftermarket pipes / headers and filter kits are not for you as to be honest they do the bike a little anti social and change the character of the beast now personally I love it but it's not for everyone .

you know what they say free advice is worth exactly what you payed

Back