Roadster 2-up and other questions from someone looking

IdahoRenegade

.060 Over
Ride
Previously-2012 Rocket Roadster
I never had any interest in a "cruiser" style bike until a few months ago. I'm heavily into the adventure bike thing and picked up a Tiger 800XC last fall. Love the bike, it is a great match for my riding-just finished the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route a couple weeks ago-1400 miles of Idaho backcountry dirt roads.

Anyway, once I had my first Triumph it got me looking at the rest of the lineup. I have to say, the Rocket III Roadster has really been drawing me these last few months, and my local dealer has a used 2012 for what seems a fair price-not many used ones in my area. Not as a replacement for the Tiger, but a something for a different style of riding. Everything I see appeals to me. The styling and of course the torque in particular. But I do have a few questions I haven't seen answered.

First, how is the passenger comfort for 2-up riding? I'm guessing the sissy bar is nearly mandatory-are there any options other than the nearly $400 Triumph rack and backrest? Is the pillion seat comfortable for rides of say 300 miles? I've been digging through the various aftermarket seat threads lately.

Also, I happen to live on a gravel road and have about 3 miles to pavement and have about 1/2 mile of gravel driveway. How is the Rocket on gravel? I don't expect to toss it around like an ADV bike, but I don't imagine it's too bad. Still, at 800 lb and with 160+ ft-lbs, I imagine not being smooth on the throttle gets interesting.

I have yet to test ride an R3, but did get a chance to throw a leg over the '12 Roadster. I don't care for the feet-forward seating position of many cruisers, but this one felt fine to me. Were all the earlier bikes (pre-'10ish) set up with more of a foot-forward position? I suppose I could get used to it, part of the issue is too much time on an ADV bike-I expect the pegs to be below me, not way out in front.

Looking for any input. I hope to test ride it later this week...and sort of expect it to follow me home.

Last edited:
First of all welcome from one of the Aussie :thumbsup: they are a great bike 2 up and the back seats are a bit on the hard side from standard,best buy a seat like this they don't come with the drivers back rest they and a soft plug that fills the hole, you can buy the drivers back rest if you wish to or a corbin. second the triumph back rest and rack are good and I would just get them to through that in when negotiating your deal. As for use on the gravel you answered your own question, just ride to your road conditions and you are fine and don't go crazy on the throttle they are not as bad as you may think.
Cheers Pete

Yep, pretty much what he said. You may want to look at something like a Russel DayLong seat if ther OEM one doesn't suit.

Just put a passenger backrest on this year after hours of research I bought the triumph one and it looks as good as a backrest can and the quality is very high. The only complaint my girlfriend has is her feet sometimes get hot at lower speeds. I'm trying to find a machinist to make a bracket to move the pegs forward so she'll have more comfort.

Welcome from Georgia. I have ridden my 05 standard on several dirt/gravel roads around my homestead and I feel comfortable riding doing it. I am not an ADV rider and am not overly experienced riding on gravel, but the rocket handles as well as my Honda Magna on the gravel. Just ride it with caution.

Another Aussie welcome, I'm sure you'll love it, even after it follows you home...;)

I've never had a passenger complain on trips 350 miles or shorter. On longer trips I have an Airhawk cushion that seems to keep them happy.
I do a bit of camping and can say gravel isn't too bad as long as it's not too deep. But like Jim said, planting you foot firmly is important when stopping on an 800 pound bike.

I ride 2 up almost 80% of the time. I have the OEM rider and passenger backrests which both work great. I changed out the seat to the OEM touring model and it's fine as well. The passenger footpegs have been switched out for the Rivco floor boards with extensions. As far as heat, buffeting, tire wear and other mystical ailments I have none of them. On gravel that big 240 rear tire wallows around a bit so traction isn't the best. In mud forget it, i've been stranded pretty easy. But on the upside you don't have to worry about a rock in the belt like all my Harley buddies, they just cringe when the gravel shows up.

Thanks for taking the time to offer the input, I appreciate it. I'm going to go for a test ride tomorrow, glad to hear that it should meet my wants. I was pleasantly surprised throwing a leg over it how low the seat is and how controllable it felt like it would be. I'll work on the dealer and see if I can get them to throw in the sissy bar/rack and engine guard. Looking forward to taking this beast for a ride, should be quite an experience compared to the Tiger.

Back