raymond braswell

Turbocharged
I have a 1968 TR6 (650) Trophy Model that I used to ride. It still runs well and I did a few mods i.e. shocks, electronic timing, etc. But since I got the Rocket III, the poor thing just sits in the garage. I was at a Bike show last weekend and took a photo and posted it of a 1972 Triumph (very similar to mine) that had been chopped and I really liked it. (with a little help from Toystoretom I'll post it on this thread). I am thinking that if I spent the cash and customized it like that one, I would be more apt to ride it occasionally around town. So the question I pose is what would you do. Chop it like the photo, restore it, or sell it?:confused:

Do it right, and a Triumph chopper is a beautiful bike to behold. I got my first motorcycle license at 15 years old on a Triumph 500 chopper. It belonged to a shop I worked at, but I loved that bike and rode it everywhere... :) It won't replace the Rocket, for sure.. but, if you do it right, it will be a very fun bike that will draw more attention than even the Rocket.. :)

I guess it would depend on what you want to do if it is something you just want to restore and resell to make some money then I would check on a place like Cycletrader.com and see what they are going for, and see if it is worth money to restore it, or just do what you want to do and ride it. My 2 cents.

Freak

Restore it correctly. If you would like a chopper I can hook you up with someone who has plenty of salvage bikes that probably won't ever get restored, they would make good choppers. To build a chopper you pull much of the stock stuff off of a bike and toss it out, including the frame and forks and wheels. Why destroy a good original that has sentimental value to you, when you can start with something else that would be really hard and expensive to restore correctly...

This ones for sale... $3250...

You could go the bolt-on hard tail route. You remove the rear subframe and suspension, and can return it to original at any time. Not

You could go the bolt-on hard tail route. You remove the rear subframe and suspension, and can return it to original at any time. Get one the stock length and you can even use the same chain.. :) Like everything else on a hard tail, you do need to check these bolts from time to time..

Restore it to like-new condition, I'd implore you. It's 39 years old and has become a collectible on its own, at least in the UK, versus just a second-class Bonneville of same vintage... or a source of spares for either a Bonneville restoration project or a Trophy-to-Bonneville hybrid creation (when "numbers don't match!"). Plus it's a fairly easy restoration project in terms of both spare parts (both original and upgraded) availability and mecanical acumen. It could actually be FUN;) . Jamie

Back