Do Both

Raymond, I would keep the TR6 stock, even if you didn't do any further restoration on it. The 6 Trophy is a fairly rare model and I would leave it alone. You can go the bolt on hard tail route, and return to stock, but that is a pain the butt. What to do about paint, extra tank, oil bag, so forth. Go buy yourself a Walnecks Cycle Trader and check a couple of the sites in the British section. There are several shops that will sell you a customized model in any style you want for not a bad amount of money. I believe it is Southern Classics out of Altanta who is producing, Bobbers, Street Fighters, and Cafe Racers with old Triumphs.
They look great and are completely gone through. I bought my old chopper from Baxter Cycle out your way, and even with shipping to Va. it was under $3500.00. He has a couple in his his ads now, you may check with him. Trust me, they are fun, the hit on bike night, but you don't want to ride them very far, they aren't much on comfort compared to the R/3.

chop it

Yo Ray: U know what they say.Anyone can restore, but it takes a real man to cut one up. Bikes are for fun and this ones is yours so do what u like and have fun.

One thing about restoring an old Triumph (or just about any vehicle) you will not get near as much out of it as you have in it. Chopping it would widen that gap greatly. I would prioritize in this order and reasons:

1. Restore it to like when you originally rode one because that is why you bought it in the first place.
2. Do a resto-mod, that is restore it to make it look stock but do electronic ignition, solid state rectifier, etc to make it more reliable and ridable.
3. Restore it to factory new condition, it will have the greatest value.
4. Sell it before you chop it because they don't make them anymore and there are plenty out there that have been hacked on already that you can do that to.

It is very rewarding riding a restored Triumph, everyone remembers the one they had or someone else had and this is one bike that gets more attention at bike night than most others, even the Rocket.

Parts are very readily available, copies of factory manuals can be purchased easily, there are still some good paint guys around that can match factory color and schemes plus our own Tom has restored and wrenched a ton of them, he was invaluable when mine was in several pieces.

Last edited:
Your first statement is wrong, IMO.

Classics are established daily, if not by decade.

That image, I assume is the client, is most ready for Vintage near Perfect.
Keep in mind I can't see all in this image. Shirley looks fully there.

You chop that! I'll be pissed!!!

HOW MUCH U want??? I'd put that under the better half in a heart beat!!!

Last edited:
Raymond,

I would have said restore to original until Tomo posted the pic of the chopped blue-ish one. Now I say "chop it" . That bike rocks!!! If i owned it I would have little problem taking it out now and again. You gotta know that would be a show stopping chopper!:bch:
BusaJack is right when he says: "Yo Ray: U know what they say. Anyone can restore, but it takes a real man to cut one up. Bikes are for fun and this ones is yours so do what u like and have fun."

Tic toc, tic toc, tic toc,......................:rolleyes:

Challanging the call!

I really am still undecided, but you all make very strong cases! I am leaning to just buying the blue Triumph chopper I posted, and restoring my 68 to original, hanging onto it for a while and then consider selling it. I am a rider, not a collector! If I do sell it I will post it here first. Maybe Vonbonds new honey needs a bike!

Back