Replace 2 rear tires for every front?

EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
Got about 4.5k miles on my '21 GT. Looks like I'll probably get about 7 or 8k out of the rear tire. Do most folks just buy a new rear and let the front go till the next change?

It's been my experience that a 2:1 (Rear : Front) replacement is my norm on Triumph Rocket III's (2019s and older).

Not sure if this is true for R3s but I suspect similar weights, similar rubber (AVON / Metzeler), and riding situations.

CAVEAT: This is my experience, your situation may be completely different. It's whatever you are comfortable with and what is required for the safe operation of your bike!

My $0.02

Got about 4.5k miles on my '21 GT. Looks like I'll probably get about 7 or 8k out of the rear tire. Do most folks just buy a new rear and let the front go till the next change?
Unless you really have been hitting the track or doing burnouts you should have tread left. You may be aware of this but for others who dont know the item in the pic is not a wear bar, it is part of the tread pattern. The real wear bars are much smaller and have initials on them Wbi or some such for Wear Bar Indicator. Someone will correct me, lol. Anyway for what its worth.

Attachments

• 1250E5B1-96FB-4BBE-8636-FE4F041348E9.jpeg
    1250E5B1-96FB-4BBE-8636-FE4F041348E9.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 94
It's been my experience that a 2:1 (Rear : Front) replacement is my norm on Triumph Rocket III's (2019s and older).

Not sure if this is true for R3s but I suspect similar weights, similar rubber (AVON / Metzeler), and riding situations.

CAVEAT: This is my experience, your situation may be completely different. It's whatever you are comfortable with and what is required for the safe operation of your bike!

My $0.02
True enough on comfort. Each time I've changed a rear I've never seen enough tread on the front to last till the rear wears out again... so I change them both.
-MIG

When I change out my rear tire the front always has plenty of life left in it but I like to have new tread on front and rear at the same time so I change them both. I don't do it myself so having them done at the same time makes it where I don't have to think or worry about taking it in again to have it changed. You guys that do it yourself I certainly understand why you would wait. 👍

Back