Replace 2 rear tires for every front?

Many parameters can change the situation. However the less you brake, the longer the life of front tire.
Somebody enjoying full throttle, then full brake before any corner should expect to change faster the front tire.
What do you think ?

Several tire manufacturers say that they won't warranty the tire after it is run on a dyno and some say not to use the tires after they are on a dyno. I was wondering if that was a thing that the manufactures say because you can put a lot of stress on a tire or someone could setup the bike wrong on the dyno. Or if this was not a real world concern.
First I've heard of that. What manufacturers say this?

My 2019 Breakout (attached) has 14k-miles on the Goodyear Scorcher tires and hasn’t reached the wear indicators yet. My front wheel 130/60-B21 doesn’t wear as fast as the rear 240/40-R18. I may replace them both this year anyway. Hopefully the R3 will make it to 10k. My 2014 Kawasaki Concours with 17” wheels was lucky to get 6k-miles on a set of tires.

Attachments

• 840C6D05-E984-47DD-8E7D-1A12ED72BC5F.jpeg
    840C6D05-E984-47DD-8E7D-1A12ED72BC5F.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 92751C58-ED87-4E0B-9941-428D9B73AC3F.jpeg
    92751C58-ED87-4E0B-9941-428D9B73AC3F.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Unless you really have been hitting the track or doing burnouts you should have tread left. You may be aware of this but for others who dont know the item in the pic is not a wear bar, it is part of the tread pattern. The real wear bars are much smaller and have initials on them Wbi or some such for Wear Bar Indicator. Someone will correct me, lol. Anyway for what its worth.
2F04E2A6-6FAF-43EF-A2CB-302471A94BD0.jpeg

Been too long so I don't remember off of the top of my head. I heard about it on a forum and then googled it and found some that called it out in their fine print.
I have never seen any one change out a rear tire just because it was on a dynograph. I have always replaced rear tires on all types of bikes before the front wears out. The Rockets are notorious for short life span on rear tires. Not quite a 2-1 ratio though.

I have never seen any one change out a rear tire just because it was on a dynograph. I have always replaced rear tires on all types of bikes before the front wears out. The Rockets are notorious for short life span on rear tires. Not quite a 2-1 ratio though.
The Rocket is like an electric car, instant torque is hard on the rubber!

It's pretty dependent on how you ride. In general I swap the rear tire much more often. This is where all the HP is transferred to the ground. Under load the bike pivots slightly around the center of gravity, transferring more of the bike's weight rearward. Just the opposite, under braking the front will dive a little, and more weight goes to the front.

This is same for cars and the primary reason you rotate tires. Some cases are a little different, but your typical sedan will wear the drive tires faster than the rollers.

For anyone experiencing the opposite (changing the front tire more often), I have never experienced this and suspect your using more brake than necessary. Try down shifting to reduce speed more?

Last edited:
Back