Removing tank badges ?

Damd8279

.040 Over
Before I go destroying mine for a new paint job, has anyone removed their tank badges before ?....are they stuck on?.....will I need new ones after the paint job?
Any help greatly appreciated.

If they are stuck on a piece of fish line or dental floss will carve that dude right off. A little shot of WD-40 will help also.

emblems

If u use the dental floss be aware of the locating pins on each end of the emblems that seat into locating holes. These holes are threaded for some unknown reason.(maybe planed on screwing them on in protype stage)Again hair dryer and pull slowly.I use a lacquer & enamel cleaner to soften the sticky tape but u need a body shop supply store for that...

For What It's Worth

Decals: First test the cleaning removal material in an inconspicuous part of the surface the label is stuck on the be sure it will not damage that surface. In a small pan, warm a small amount of vinegar. Fold a pad of cloth large enough to cover the decal. Soak the fabric in the hot vinegar and apply to the decal. Hold in place for a couple of minutes, or fasten soaked pad on vertical surface with masking tape. When thoroughly saturated, the decal will peel off with no damage to paint, and no scraping will be necessary.

I look forward to your steps in enabling the removal. The suggestion of using WD-40 strikes me as a ++ option. The wifey would always suggest I try WD-40 to remove gummy residue.

P.S. She always thinks she's a better mechanic than I

Last edited:
Back