Removing rear wheel

Piece of cake. I had to jack the bike way up because I couldn't hold the wheel up and pull the plate at the same time. Perhaps in my younger days.

And for Phil

It was a spectacular day. I got quite a few great shots of The Mountain, as it is referred to out here. It was covered by clouds from one perspective.

That Honda Molypaste 60 is part number 08734-0001 and I think Skip said it was about ten bucks a tube in the US.

As a matter of interest, I was quoted fifty five bucks a few days ago at a local Oz dealer, and someone from Western Australia said they were quoted seventy bucks. Reasonable.....:pullhairout:
Is there a Honda alternative, as Honda don't have this in stock in theUK and cannot say when they will have it again?
Thanks
Mike

Mike, probably any moly grease will do. Mobile 1 makes it as do many others. I just pulled this off of the Yamaha Star web site. A guy had asked about greasing the splines.

"This is outstanding question and the answer was outstanding as well. On a 650 shaft-drive v-star, molly grease is the main thing and it can be purchased at Napa, Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone and many others. Many brands are out there. Inquire about the percentage of Molly in the grease as some can be as low as 3%. You want 60% or more Molly if you can get it. I just greased my splines and put a generous amount of molly on it. Yamaha had done a good job on mine, but it was getting a little thin at 7600 miles on the odo. This should be done each time you change a tire or remove the shaft drive assembly."

BTW, mine were well greased when I pulled the wheel. The Triumph dealership apparently did it with the last two tire changes. I believe they use Mobile 1. I got just about 10K on my last Metz so the grease held up well.

I am assuming that you are referring to the bevel box to wheel hub splines when you say well greased. The other place while wheel off is to 're-grease' is the drive shaft to bevel box splines. Check out the "grinding noise" thread to see why.

I did but I'm still not sure what I'm looking at in the photo. So do you have to remove the bevel box from the drive shaft?

Yes you do.
rainman's photos show the connection (or disconnection) of the driveshaft and bevel box.
Thats the critical area.

I did but I'm still not sure what I'm looking at in the photo. So do you have to remove the bevel box from the drive shaft?

Here you go Mike the is the end of the swing frame with the drive shaft hanging out. the splines go into the female splines in the bevel gear box.

This is the splines on the bevel gear box they go into both need lubricating with at least Moly 60.

Back