Removing rear wheel

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
My rear Metz bit the dust in Chinook Pass during our last ride of the NW salvo so I cut short my ride and rode back to Packwood with Steve. I made it home the next day with N1 and Mitch in company. John and I got the Rocket up on my new lift and then we went over to Cliff's Cycle in Bremerton where I ordered a new Bridgestone. The distributor rep was there and checked inventory, telling us that there were only 11 left in inventor and that it has been proven to be a very popular tire.

I read the sticky on rear wheel removal, along with Mitch's sticky on spline greasing and it all looks pretty straight forward.

Are there any other "lessons learned" though that might prove helpful? Does caliper have to be removed? I have a removable plate in the lift and planned to just drop the tire down. I ask this because in one of the other misc threads, it says that one of the caliper fixing bolts had to be replaced, that this had to be done every time. Apparently this is mentioned in the shop manual.

Mike I am not sure about changing the caliper bolts but the manual does say that for the disc bolts which I re-use. I just add medium grade thread locker and retorque.
Before removing the brake caliper use a screw driver to pry the pad and piston back for slop so it comes off easily, just like a car. The caliper mounting bracket bolt comes out then you just lift the assembly off the disc and hang it ove rthe outside of the swing frame. The bike will have to go pretty high so you clear the license plate when you go to pull the wheel out from under the fender. I use anti-sieze on the caliper bracket bolt and the axel nut befroe going back together and torque the axle to specs.
You will like the Bridgestone and you speedo and odometer will almost be perfect. My odemeter is only off 1/10 in 50 miles.
It is slick until you scruff her up but after that she grips great.

Caliper torque reaction bolt is WAAAAAAY hard to turn. You need a cheater bar, not a ratchet, to break it loose. You'll want to shock it initially to get it moving. Then it will spin out fine. You will also need to raise the rear about 4 inches or so to clear the fender and exhaust with the wheel cocked over (my lift has the same hole for tire removal). Last time I had to pull the license plate (didn't raise it high enough).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have had the caliper torque reaction bolt in and out at least five times, still using it. Don't really see why factory says "non-reusable."

Agree with IDK, don't reckon it needs to be THAT tight, just schniceantite....

That Honda Molypaste 60 is part number 08734-0001 and I think Skip said it was about ten bucks a tube in the US.

As a matter of interest, I was quoted fifty five bucks a few days ago at a local Oz dealer, and someone from Western Australia said they were quoted seventy bucks. Reasonable.....:pullhairout:

It is about $10 here in the US. You Aussies need to buy some KY Lube before you go out to purchase that Honda stuff!!!

Thanks gents.

I just returned this morning from a Mt Rainier ride on the VStrom. I've lived here since 2003, never been into the park and got "cheated" out of it when my rear tire tanked so headed up there yesterday morning with my brother-in-law. The loss of the tire itself was kind of funny since I'd been kidding Gorge Rider about taking a trip with a worn rear tire. We were on the summit of Chinook pass for a break and taking some pics before heading into the park. Michel was parked behind me and said "Mike, cord." I looked to see if a cord was hanging down from my tail back, couldn't see anything and asked him what what he meant, again looking for a hanging bungee or something. He said it again and pointed to the tire. Holy Crap! I had about 12 inches of cords popping through.

In any event, I bought some of the Moly Paste and yup it is about 10 bucks. I should be all set to pull the wheel. I'll give that bolt a try with my extension bar and if that doesn't work will use my electric impact wrench. I had to use that to break the clutch bolt loose on my 78 shovelhead. It is torqued to about 70 pounds. With the removable plate on the table lift I shouldn't have to raise the bike that much to clear. I have a Blackjack bike scissor jack under it with the brackets that Skip sent to me. I plan to raise it enough to take pressure off the wheel, pull the caliper and the spindle and then have a friend hold the wheel while I pull the plate.

I'll report back on how everything went to hell during the process. :)

Mt Rainier National Park is like Never-Neverland to me... mystical, magical, mysterious and majestic! :thumbsup:

Back