Removing rear ABS on 2012 rocket roadster.

Torpedo

.040 Over
Has anyone done it? Do you see any problems with the computer/integration. Only wanting to remove rear.

I'd be amazed if anyone has done it, mainly because I can't think of one reason you'd want to (unless you were triking it I suppose).

ABS on rear is a great Idea, I would even go so far as to say It would great to have it on the rear only and get rid of on the front but the other way round has got me stumped as to Why!!
As soon as it get here I am about to try a little gadget that replaces the banjoe bolt on the rear cable which has an expansion chamber in it to take the intial bite out the rear brake, so when you hit the brakes in an a emergency it is less likely to lock up

And before any smart arse's pipe in Sport bike have much smaller rear brakes as they are ineffective (apart from a bit of trail braking) because you have all your weight over the front wheel but cruisers like the rocket also transfer a lot of weight to the front, just not as much so a rear brake is still needed, but for some crazy reason they see fit to put a huge rear disk and Brembo calpier that would put some sports bike front brakes to shame on the rear of the Rocket, correct use of the brakes requires Both being used not just the front, just the rear not as much as the front, but when you have an overpowerfull rear brake like the Rocket has it makes it a bit harder to not lock up the rear.

hans

i still do not believe the rocket is much different from other bike in terms of weight distribution
I have tested the rear brake on its own and found it to lock up so ever easily, so I only use it whenever I have a pillion passenger then I can feel the difference otherwise I stay away from it in most situation and particularly in emergency stop I researched and came to that conclusion when disc brakes became the norm and much more experienced riders showed me the advantage and inconvenience of disc over drums if anything an ABS on the rear should make all the riders using it a bit more confident. I will stick to front braking thank you and I wished the youtube video on brake usage was a bit more elaborate as is it is a bit short and lacks details.

Has anyone done it? Do you see any problems with the computer/integration. Only wanting to remove rear.
Yes there is computer integration. Wheel sensors to monitor rotation. Put to large or to small a difference of tire on one and you will see. I beleive the ABS sytem is so fancy it does not allow you to use the rear unless the front is operated first. Easy thing to correct though just sell the bike and buy a 09. ABS gone :D

I love being able to lock up the rear tire.....if needed.:D

In fact it save my bacon ...just 3 weeks ago:eek:

I think it is a lot about how you learned to ride

In a panic stop....just the rear brake.....like the old song says....Another one bites the Dust

And yes I would love a rocket with ABS just on the front

How does locking the rear save anything? you will have less grip, (reduced coeficent of friction than when the wheel is rolling) less directional stability, and a lovely flat spot on your tyre!

I have raced on and off road, and riden most big crusers. But can't think of a reason to lock the rear other than making lots of smoke.

Not many can out brake a modern ABS system, some of the old systems were a bit slow at reacting but the modern stuff are quicker than we are. So unless you just like to wreck tyres leave it connected.

Pierre

Back