Removing rear ABS on 2012 rocket roadster.

No problem...Pierre

"Five feet of correct braking lost, you could have walked away! no assumptions made pal."

No offence taken...But in 1971...with drum brakes and 50 to 55 mph and a 20 some foot buick dead infront of you....I don't think so....I was there you were not...
At 55 mph and that bike I might have been able to miss her if I had 100 to 150 feet to react. Not 25 to 30 feet. The bike was a 1971 H1 Kaw. 500 tripple just 5 months old

I did walk away...sore to be sure..The bike did not...it was hauled away..

The Tac and speedo was busted...from my helment..I guess..The fuel tank was pushed in about 2 1/2 inches from the top side...My body. The right handle bar was bent down from hanging on until impact.

I have often wondered what would have happened if I hit that car sitting up on the bike just braking...How much speed could I have scrubbed off before impact. How hard my lower body would have hit the front of the motorcycle then into the side of the car....What would have my upper body hit and how hard????...Oh...don't forget about the head.

I think I made the right choice for me at that moment in time...

Let me clear up one thing....ASSUME....I assumed that she saw me....I was wrong... I made the mistake ...not her...It was 100% my fault...and I did learn from that mistake I made..
Plus if I get killed tomorrow...by a car pulling or turning in front of me....IT WAS MY FAULT.

NEVER ASSUME that Car is NOT going to pull out in front of you.....it will

NEVER ASSUME the car will NOT turn in front of you.....it will

PLAN...on them to pull out in front of you
PLAN.. on them to turn in front of you
NEVER STOP behind any vehicle....ALWAYS to the right or left...You might can stand being knocked up the road 30 or 40 feet....But not the meat in a steel sandwich

Ride Safe my Friend

:D

The other day when I got hit, the car next to me to my right made a bat turn to the left into me. I didn't have time to touch either brake, horn, nothing. It was just bam! That fast.

Question, If a car tyre is installed on the bike would the abs light come on? I have had some dramas with my 2011 r3r with electrics (rectifier and battery and so on) no I have finally got it back up and running only to find out that the ABS light is on and won't go off, only came on after a 200klm trip to run the tyre and get a feel for the bike, going off the tyre size calculator it is only 2.3% difference in size this should not cause the error.

Just wandering if anyone else that has gone the darkside has had this problem in the past, FYI my rear tyre is 225 50 16 toyo.

Thank you

Adam

hi adam
there has been a few bikes that have changed there tire size and the check abs light came on. i don't know what the % is but i know it is not much.
however if you clear codes with a scanner or other device and it comes back with out riding it you have whats called a hard code and that would be more like sensors,sensors pick up ring,or abs module.
herman

ps i think some one will come on and give more info

well might as well give my opinion
when putting your bike into a slide it is best if you don't drag your a$$$ on the ground. when i was a young buck i had a 59 650 bsa and could put it into a slide and bring it back up. one time a car stopped in front of me and i new i could not get stopped so i left the road but so did he so then i was in a slide on dirt i rolled on the throltle and made a fantastic u turn.
latter i was on a little honda 250 doing about 50 when a car turned left in front of me i was going to hit him (i was in a slide wasn't planed to my knowledge) when i saw the on coming lanes were open so i rolled on the throlte and i missed the car and saved my a$$$. that was my last ride for many a year.
so now i ride a rocket and under conditions i would like abs. i have never put the rocket into a slide and hope that i never do, but the ride home is open range and often cows are killed on the road so if i had a choice of hitting head on or putting the rocket into a slide and trying to go under i would chose the latter. i have seen the results of a motorcycle hitting a cow. the cycle totaled and the driver well he looked like he hit a cow.
if i lived where it rained a lot i would be pro abs.

I have been there & done that regarding the ABS light. As I understand, the ECU error parameter is based upon the ratio of the rear tire circumference to the front tire circumference and not the individual tire size.
If the ABS light is on, you have brakes; but, you DO NOT have ABS. I run an Excedra Max rear (240/55R16)
which is slightly larger in circumference than the OEM Metzeler (240/50R16). That alone noticeably improved handling; so, since more must be better, I ran through two 140 front tires (Michilin & Avon 140/75R17) and found yet more handling improvement, specifically over 12 rips dragging through the Dragon. Next trip I then went down to a 130 (Cobra 130/80R17). It was too small and increased the ratio to where the ABS did not work. I had more drag due to the lowered front end which sucked. I had intended to change back to the 130 when returning home - BUT - the 130 slid out on me after contacting rumble strips carved into the centerline of a tight twisty roadway near Alice's restaurant on the way to visit RKTNMYPKT. CRASH = fubar left leg and surgery. I now have a Avon 140 Cobra back on.
If anyone is interested, I have spent the time researching the tires available the Rocket Roadster and have made a list. Will send if anyone wishes.
Best Regards,
1olbull

1olbull,
Mate I would love that list please, do you think that mu 225 50 16 car tyre has affected my ratio, my front tyre is the stock 150 80 17 monster? I would love to get a handle on this just to make sure no more wiring is the issue, the previous owner of my bike has removed a lot of things from under the tank, not sure what it's meant to look like, there is no pollution equipment to speak of either, so there is a few plugs laying around, to my knowledge though all necessary sensors are working fine. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Adam

Regarding tire sizes and ABS function warning light, I have done the math and found:
Stock rear 240/50R16 = circumference of 79.95 inches
Stock front 150/80R17 = circumference of 83.09 inches
Ratio rear to front = 96%

Excedra Max rear 240/55R16 = circumference of 82.92 inches
Stock front 150/80R17 = circumference of 83.09 inches
Ratio rear to front = 99.8%

Avon Cobra front 140/75R17 = circumference of 79.38 inches
Ratio rear to front = 104%

Avon Cobra 130/80R17 = circumference of 79.13 inches
Ratio rear to front = 104.8%

My ABS light came on with the 130/80 front tire (ratio of 104.8%) compared to the stock ratio of 96%
My ABS worked fine with the 140/75 front tire (ratio of 104%) compared to the stock ratio of 96%
Therefor, I would say a rear to front circumference variance of 8% from stock will work and over that (8.8%) will not.

Additions or corrections welcome.

Attachments

• Possible Rocket Roadster Tires.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 4
I posted on the forum on facebook what my problem was, a Gent told me since I had changed the tyre to just check the ABS ring on the rim to make sure I had not bent or miss aligned it, and sure enough it was a bee's *****out on a couple of spots, so I fixed that and went for a ride and BAM problem solved..... Thank you for the front tyre info I will be using that..

Not wanting to offend anyone but why? Unless your a stunt rider.
Why? Because I have been riding for 47 years, long before ABS and any other computer controlled nonsense! I don't need or want a computer to decide how much brake I need. I have never locked up a rear brake in my 47 years of riding, MAINLY because the rear brake is **** in an emergency to begin with! Now will someone please answer the GD question? Take your wining and horror stories to another post please! Some of us don't need ABS, computers, or the GD Government to save us! All we want to know is how to disable the **** thing! If you don't know how or why, SHUT UP, and let someone that has the answer post here! Start a ninny crybaby horror show on another post. Thanky you!!!!

Back