Related in Any Way?

Hooter

.020 Over
I've been having some transmission issues with my 2012 Touring. It pops out of first gear and second gear on an upshift isn't smooth like the rest of the transmission, its almost a jarring shift. It seems to lag then grab. Seems to be a little tough on the drive train. Are they related in any way, first and second gear, don't know? I just called the dealer and they want the bike. It has just under 3000 miles on it. I would like to know if there is an upgrade for the transmission that can be done? Or will an upgrade solve the problem?
I've read here some place that there is an upgrade but am not certain what that means? Have there been past problems of this type with the Rocket III? I'd like to have any information when I drop the bike off on the 30th. I will wait to hear the dealer say, "this is normal" when IMO it isn't.
The transmission is smooth with the exception of second gear as described and the shift from neutral to 1st. Thats when it jumps out of first gear. First gear happens to frequently and second is just annoying.:?:

Transmission upgrades were done prior to the introduction of the Touring model in 2008.

For some reason N to 1st it sometimes pops out, but never if you shift from 2nd to 1st, seems common on these bikes. I learned to keep pressure on shifter and double clutch on the occasions I go from N to 1st, seems to work fine, once you get used to the bike. No issues with 2nd here, make sure your clutch cable isn't too tight, that it's not slipping, then grabbing in 2nd.

The symptoms of transmission failure were often : jumps out of 2nd gear under hard throttle....if you were lucky! others had total & sudden internal disintegration!

For some reason N to 1st it sometimes pops out, but never if you shift from 2nd to 1st, seems common on these bikes. I learned to keep pressure on shifter and double clutch on the occasions I go from N to 1st, seems to work fine, once you get used to the bike. No issues with 2nd here, make sure your clutch cable isn't too tight, that it's not slipping, then grabbing in 2nd.

Yup short and to the point. Only pops out N to 1st. Downshift in the entire transmission is fine. Clutch is 2.5 mm of free play so it isn't tight. 2 - 3 mm is recommended but I guess every bike is different...Thanks.

The symptoms of transmission failure were often : jumps out of 2nd gear under hard throttle....if you were lucky! others had total & sudden internal disintegration!

That was the same thing that years ago happened with the Road Star. A Circlip would let go and the transmission would detonate. Unsubstantiated reports of death were associated with failure if complete detonation occured. The bike would lock up and rider go down when it happened no matter what the speed. Then the recall happened and the issue was taken care of. Initially complete transmissions were replaced, mine was, then eventially they found the cause and only replaced parts.

I've been having some transmission issues with my 2012 Touring. It pops out of first gear and second gear on an upshift isn't smooth like the rest of the transmission, its almost a jarring shift. It seems to lag then grab. Seems to be a little tough on the drive train. Are they related in any way, first and second gear, don't know? I just called the dealer and they want the bike. It has just under 3000 miles on it. I would like to know if there is an upgrade for the transmission that can be done? Or will an upgrade solve the problem?
I've read here some place that there is an upgrade but am not certain what that means? Have there been past problems of this type with the Rocket III? I'd like to have any information when I drop the bike off on the 30th. I will wait to hear the dealer say, "this is normal" when IMO it isn't.
The transmission is smooth with the exception of second gear as described and the shift from neutral to 1st. Thats when it jumps out of first gear. First gear happens to frequently and second is just annoying.:?:
My 2008 Classic had similar symptoms. My solution was to replace broken detent spring.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Back