Reducing Decel Popping?

Just a comment.....I haven't migrated to what I would call a decel pop yet since I'm running just TORs, and the derestricting tune. Still haven't done the Ramair even though it is setting in the basement.

I have noticed very little burble and putt putt on decel and nothing extreme like a backfire. My comment is...I have been running non ethanol premium fuel (available in premium only) as I can get it locally. The last tankfull I put in was a midgrade fuel with ethanol. I actually started to notice more burble and putt putt with the midgrade with ethanol. I don't know if anyone else has experimented with this but I thought I would throw it out there. I discovered it just by chance.

On a trip I will be stuck with whatever I can get, but anything within a 175 mile range I can stay with the ethanol free fuel even though it is pricy compared to midgrade.

Turn off your O2 sensor and report back. Thats the problem.
I tried the following scenarios:
- With O2 - Plus 5% all map
- Without O2 - Plus 2% all, +additional 5% on TP 0%
- Without O2 - Plus 3% all, +additional 12% on TP 0%

All these gave lots of decel popping...

I ran the Triumph 12 min reset after each tune download and an off/on, but I can't be sure I did the off, on, off, on, TuneECU adaptive reset sequence each and every time too thinking about it...I think I may have made a mistake here and caused things to not happen as expected? Big doh moment if that's the case!?!? Too much time messing with maps on the laptop and eager to get out and try them...

I'll do it all going forwards anyway, starting with the below given what I know now and if successful great, if not I'll go back through the same settings without O2 options too...

I will be trying the following today/tomorrow if my back lets me (pulled it almost 2 weeks ago and it's annoying as hell to sit down too long):
- With O2 - Plus 5% on TP 0%
- With O2 - Plus 10% on TP 0%

Last edited:
Just a comment.....I haven't migrated to what I would call a decel pop yet since I'm running just TORs, and the derestricting tune. Still haven't done the Ramair even though it is setting in the basement.

I have noticed very little burble and putt putt on decel and nothing extreme like a backfire. My comment is...I have been running non ethanol premium fuel (available in premium only) as I can get it locally. The last tankfull I put in was a midgrade fuel with ethanol. I actually started to notice more burble and putt putt with the midgrade with ethanol. I don't know if anyone else has experimented with this but I thought I would throw it out there. I discovered it just by chance.

On a trip I will be stuck with whatever I can get, but anything within a 175 mile range I can stay with the ethanol free fuel even though it is pricy compared to midgrade.

Might explain it when comparing to the US, all UK unleaded petrol is rated at 95 RON at a minimum these days, super unleaded comes in at 97 upwards, some over 100...I can't get fuel lower than 95....maybe I need to dilute it lol

Wait till you put the air ram in and that will change the air ratio and you’ll get the back firing popping.

Might explain it when comparing to the US, all UK unleaded petrol is rated at 95 RON at a minimum these days,
The RON ratings are different UK (EU) and USA.

Research Octane Number (RON)
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)
Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2
In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe,[citation needed] the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Today I tried:

- 20776 - With O2 - Plus 5% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm
- 20776 - Without O2 - Plus 5% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm
- 20776 - With O2 - Plus 10% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm
- 20776 - Without O2 - Plus 10% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm

All followed by off, on, off, on, adaptive reset, off, on, 12 minute reset, off, on, go for a 10 minute or so run on motorway and back...

To be brutally honest none made a difference with decel popping really, in fact the first was the smoothest ride, O2 off didn't do anything good...

Does the bike need a lot more riding to "adapt" after a new tune before any benefits can be noticed?

Also...I'm not sure I can stand the noise levels of the single outlaw, it's just evil! If I'm thinking that way what about the local bystanders!? My wife thinks it's going to cause issue...:eek:

I wonder if a deep tone pipe (same design just longer than the outlaw) may help things...I suspect so....any deep tone pipe owners care to speak up?

Also went to the local Dyno shop that do direct ECU tuning, main man is on his hols, back Monday..but from the sounds of things a one off payment of £300ish gets multiple tunings across minor bike tweaks, with anything more major costing £20-30 extra, depends on the Dyno time needed. Sounds promising...

...I suspect so....any deep tone pipe owners care to speak up?.
w42-4.JPG

Sorry,
HAven't read all the posts but check the Throttle bodies balance and the stepper motor is correctly set. It helped on mine

Today I tried:

- 20776 - With O2 - Plus 5% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm
- 20776 - Without O2 - Plus 5% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm
- 20776 - With O2 - Plus 10% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm
- 20776 - Without O2 - Plus 10% on TP 0% 1400 to 7000 rpm

All followed by off, on, off, on, adaptive reset, off, on, 12 minute reset, off, on, go for a 10 minute or so run on motorway and back...

To be brutally honest none made a difference with decel popping really, in fact the first was the smoothest ride, O2 off didn't do anything good...

Does the bike need a lot more riding to "adapt" after a new tune before any benefits can be noticed?

Also...I'm not sure I can stand the noise levels of the single outlaw, it's just evil! If I'm thinking that way what about the local bystanders!? My wife thinks it's going to cause issue...:eek:

I wonder if a deep tone pipe (same design just longer than the outlaw) may help things...I suspect so....any deep tone pipe owners care to speak up?

Also went to the local Dyno shop that do direct ECU tuning, main man is on his hols, back Monday..but from the sounds of things a one off payment of £300ish gets multiple tunings across minor bike tweaks, with anything more major costing £20-30 extra, depends on the Dyno time needed. Sounds promising...
The 12 minute tune....does nothing with the o2 off.
If the o2 is off, the tune will never change, because the ecu needs the o2 sensor to populate the adaptive fuel table.

When you "reset adaptives" that zeros all adaptive cells.

Without a way to read actual afr, like on a dyno, my opinion would be try a different tune that better matches your equipment..

Back