For the lateral movement of the friction portion of the rotor across the buttons, there should be a few mm of play. There should be zero movement on the carrier portion, the middle part that's bolted to the wheel.

Typically the problem on free floating rotors is they get tight and stop moving at the button area, this usually leads to a pulsing at the lever/pedal, similar to a warped rotor.
I usually clean and spin the buttons/ bobbins every winter or two. My riding is probably less than 6,000 mi. a year.

For the lateral movement of the friction portion of the rotor across the buttons, there should be a few mm of play. There should be zero movement on the carrier portion, the middle part that's bolted to the wheel.

Typically the problem on free floating rotors is they get tight and stop moving at the button area, this usually leads to a pulsing at the lever/pedal, similar to a warped rotor.
Thanks a bunch for the info, even my dealer hasn’t been able to find it, unless they aren’’t really trying.

when i worked on tribals 2005 front rotors 200000+ they had a lot of play but did not give problems we replaced because the brake pads wore out the rotor
with him towing that trailer put a lot of wear on the system.
yes i know we are talking about a different set up but we are still talking about a floating system.
hth

when i worked on tribals 2005 front rotors 200000+ they had a lot of play but did not give problems we replaced because the brake pads wore out the rotor
with him towing that trailer put a lot of wear on the system.
yes i know we are talking about a different set up but we are still talking about a floating system.
hth
I appreciate all input.

Well I went ahead and ordered the new rotor and after it was installed I can say it has way less radial slop than before. You can hardly move the rotor now and before it probably had an 1/8” of slop in every direction. I dont know what the ramifications would have been if I had done nothing but I feel way more confident in the brakes now. Interestingly the bike had exactly 66,666 miles on the clock when I had them change the rotor at the dealership.

If you check, I think you can purchase replacement floating brake rotor buttons. This might be a cheap solution if the buttons were the worn part causing the play. There are a number of videos showing how to replace.

If you check, I think you can purchase replacement floating brake rotor buttons. This might be a cheap solution if the buttons were the worn part causing the play. There are a number of videos showing how to replace.
that might have been a solution for sure, I dont discount that. I admit I am ignorant on floating rotors.

has anyone figured out torque needed if we proceed with the replacement floating brake rotors button? or its just plug and play

Something I just came across while looking for a video on cleaning up calipers (I've often shared) that seems related to this post. This one is about rotors. Never done it, but will be shortly, especially after reading of other's problems with rotors...
Try to check/clean. them every other winter

Back