Azisbest

Turbocharged
Ride
2020 GT
Well I have been lucky so far with no problem with the mushy rear brake many have experienced but the rotor is loose and sloppy on the bolts and will need to be replaced. I have a new one on order and should be back to normal this week I hope. Anyone else experience this issue? I have a 2020 GT. You might check yours because the only reason I found the issue was a riding buddy noticed it on the road.

Last edited:
Well I have been lucky so far with no problem with the mushy rear brake many have experienced but the rotor is loose and sloppy on the bolts and will need to be replaced. I have a new one on order and should be back to normal this week I hope. Anyone else experience this issue? I have a 2020 GT. You might check yours because the only reason I found the issue was a riding buddy noticed it on the road.
how many miles?

If anyone has the time or the inclination could you post a short video of your rear rotor while moving it around so I can see if the slop I have is normal?. I did a video of mine but I am not smart enough to attach the clip in here. On a 2.5 of course.

Over or under torque with no cleanup and new locktight is the issue.
It must be torques correctly with clean dry threads on both the bolt and the hub with new blue locktight.
Had a similar issue with my nighthawk
If it gets warpped from improper torquing it will force the threads out over time.
The clamping pressure on the face of that rotor to the hub is incredible. Just 3 or 4 ftlbs can be upwards of a thousand or so psi of clamping pressure.

No sign at 23,000 (yet), but I'll check torque next time I have the wheel off (often).

66,500 miles on yours - I salute you!

If anyone has the time or the inclination could you post a short video of your rear rotor while moving it around so I can see if the slop I have is normal?. I did a video of mine but I am not smart enough to attach the clip in here. On a 2.5 of course.
No sign at 23,000 (yet), but I'll check torque next time I have the wheel off (often).

66,500 miles on yours - I salute you!
Thanks, I dont need torque right now I still have the original rotors on the bike I am just trying to decide if I need to replace the rotor. I do not know how much movement (or slop as I called it) a floating rotor is allowed. I called Triumph with no luck so far.

Does anyone know if Triumph has published the tolerances for movement of the rear floating roller. How much is too much?

For the lateral movement of the friction portion of the rotor across the buttons, there should be a few mm of play. There should be zero movement on the carrier portion, the middle part that's bolted to the wheel.

Typically the problem on free floating rotors is they get tight and stop moving at the button area, this usually leads to a pulsing at the lever/pedal, similar to a warped rotor.

I recall from cleaning the rear area that there is some movement or play back there but I’ve never had a brake problem.

Back