Soft rear brake after recall

stingray

Nitrous
Ride
'21Rocket 3GT, '17 KTM 1290 SDGT, '04 Goldwing
It hasn't been very long since I had the rear master cylinder recall done and it's already back to the soft pedal again on first pump. It pumps up quicker and hasn't failed, but I don't think the air intrusion problem has been fully resolved. Just be sure to pump them up real good, like you should, before heading out.

Sorry to be a PITA but any chance you could provide more details?
  • When did you have it done (date)?
  • What did you have done (there is a Service Bulletin from this year re: rear brake)?
  • When did you notice it going soft (date or days later)?
  • Did you ride it between service and it going soft?
  • If you pump it, does it come back or it's all gone now?
  • Any error codes?
  • Temperature during parked time (this is when they figure it is losing its pressure) - Was it hot out, was it cold overnight, etc?
I've had it serviced 3 times by the dealer. The issue as I understand it, is that if you park the bike for an extended period of time (which one does in Canada), then the rear goes flat, loses pressure. Because it's tied into the ABS they have to service it fully at the shop. I have the official recall service scheduled for late April.

Sorry to be a PITA but any chance you could provide more details?
  • When did you have it done (date)?
  • What did you have done (there is a Service Bulletin from this year re: rear brake)?
  • When did you notice it going soft (date or days later)?
  • Did you ride it between service and it going soft?
  • If you pump it, does it come back or it's all gone now?
  • Any error codes?
  • Temperature during parked time (this is when they figure it is losing its pressure) - Was it hot out, was it cold overnight, etc?
I've had it serviced 3 times by the dealer. The issue as I understand it, is that if you park the bike for an extended period of time (which one does in Canada), then the rear goes flat, loses pressure. Because it's tied into the ABS they have to service it fully at the shop. I have the official recall service scheduled for late April.
I had the recall done Nov. 21 2023 and it has been ridden weekly or two at most. So less than 4 months since the recall was done with steady riding. Not sitting around in storage by any means. Winter in Texas goes from 90f to 20f, stored in garage riding above 50f. Like I said before,
"It hasn't been very long since I had the rear master cylinder recall done and it's already back to the soft pedal again on first pump. It pumps up quicker and hasn't failed, but I don't think the air intrusion problem has been fully resolved. Just be sure to pump them up real good, like you should, before heading out."

I had the recall done Nov. 21 2023 and it has been ridden weekly or two at most. So less than 4 months since the recall was done with steady riding. Not sitting around in storage by any means. Winter in Texas goes from 90f to 20f, stored in garage riding above 50f. Like I said before,
"It hasn't been very long since I had the rear master cylinder recall done and it's already back to the soft pedal again on first pump. It pumps up quicker and hasn't failed, but I don't think the air intrusion problem has been fully resolved. Just be sure to pump them up real good, like you should, before heading out."
So in essence, three things could be true...
  1. Your service department didn't do the job correctly (always a possibility no matter where you go)
  2. Triumph hasn't fully resolved the issue yet
  3. Could be your bike (I doubt it but it has to be included in viable consideration)
My money is on 2. In any case, they (we) need a proper fix that lasts more than a week or two.

I'd say #2 since it worked fine for a few months. It lasted around 12 weeks before noticeable softness and has gotten progressively worse to needing an extra pump while riding in the last month.

Back