New Brake Recall!

Mine was done on Nov 18th. I didn't try it until last weekend because the dealership dropped my bike on its side while moving it around the workshop ( **** happens, they were very apologetic, and we reached a mutual understanding on making sensible repairs that keep me on the road and avoid high-priced parts).
On the back brake, I can't honestly say I notice a difference. I had an R3GT as a loner while my R3R was repaired, and the back brake seemed to have a very different feel to mine. Now, that could be down to the difference in geometry. My R3R back brake has always seemed sufficient, but that could be because I don't push it; I use it more for slow speed control. Finally, I love the engine braking and decel pops!

Mine was done on Nov 18th. I didn't try it until last weekend because the dealership dropped my bike on its side while moving it around the workshop ( **** happens, they were very apologetic, and we reached a mutual understanding on making sensible repairs that keep me on the road and avoid high-priced parts).
On the back brake, I can't honestly say I notice a difference. I had an R3GT as a loner while my R3R was repaired, and the back brake seemed to have a very different feel to mine. Now, that could be down to the difference in geometry. My R3R back brake has always seemed sufficient, but that could be because I don't push it; I use it more for slow speed control. Finally, I love the engine braking and decel pops!
I'll tell you what, Limey... you are a better man than I agreeing to make "sensible" repairs instead of demanding all new "expensive" parts for which the dealer was TOTALLY responsible!! Let's see....the dealer drops your bike, the dealer tells you they'll repair it in a way that will avoid "high-priced" parts and you agree to help the dealer which has just damaged your bike and gets you to agree to a Jerry Rig fix in order to save money for the dealer responsible for the damage!! :(

I believe the recall is for all bikes. It states from 2020-2024. It says that the current master cylinder doesn't have the capacity to move the fluid through the system properly so they are adding a larger one. I'm not very knowledgeable with how these systems work, but I'm not sure how this fixes air getting into the system.
The larger the volume in the master cylinder, the shorter the distance the pedal has to move to push the necessary volume of fluid into the caliper to move the pads.

I'll tell you what, Limey... you are a better man than I agreeing to make "sensible" repairs instead of demanding all new "expensive" parts for which the dealer was TOTALLY responsible!! Let's see....the dealer drops your bike, the dealer tells you they'll repair it in a way that will avoid "high-priced" parts and you agree to help the dealer which has just damaged your bike and gets you to agree to a Jerry Rig fix in order to save money for the dealer responsible for the damage!! :(
It's not what you think. There were cosmetic scratches in three places that would have involved expensive parts and lots of labor. See attached. The scratches on the engine case and final drive were repaired; you can still see evidence of these repairs if you look hard. The tank dent was fixed using a talented paintless technician, and I cannot see any sign of the dent now.
In exchange for not having these parts swapped, I won't have to pay for servicing for some time (a long time, given the miles I ride).
The dealer still had to replace $1k worth of damaged parts, including the gear lever, brake lever, the center cap on the rear wheel, etc. We are still waiting on a replacement triangular badge that you see below to ship from the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 32
I'm curious... Have any of you guys that have had their master cylinders upgraded, end up with any brake failure problems since the change???
No issues since the change but if you want to hear from me about it you need to give it about 6 months. Every time the dealer would bleed the brakes it would come back good and then it would take months to degrade.

Had mine done a few weeks ago on my 2021 R3R. Prior to the replacement the rear brake didn't work at all on the first push. It took two or three pumps to get it working, but then another mile down the road it was back to square one. After the recall replacement it works great. No issues so far with the new master cylinder. Hoping it stays that way.

Today I visited my dealership to have the rear brake recall fitted with new master etc. 3 hours later and work completed. Feels massively better of the bat, time will tell how it goes. Was also starting to get OCABS Disabled warning which is assumed related to recall and the overall ABS system. Will update if things change, if not consider all good. best wishes

Back