Yes, I know they're easy to remove from the caliper; I usually do it when I replace the rear tire. But this time the pads wore out before the tire and i was wondering if it can be done without dealing with the rear axle. It looks like I'll have to back out the axle enough to clear the caliper bracket so it can be removed from the axle. The pads won't drop out of the caliper unless the caliper bracket is freed; that's the hard part. It means the the rear wheel will have to be off the floor or at least the weight of the bike off the tire and wheel and the bike supported. that's what I was hoping to avoid.
Why are you taking the caliper off? You don't have to do that.
Just do what we said and pull out the pads. The new ones slip right in as easy as the old ones came out. Before we start a discussion over something sooooo simple ... just take a couple minutes and pull out the R-clips, slide the pin out and grab the pads with your fingers and pull.
If for some strange reason they are wedged against the rotor and won't pull out, just pry them away from the rotor with a big flatblade screwdriver to compress the pistons.

Last edited:
Rear Pads

I thought they could be changed without taking the caliper off, all my other bikes could be changed without removing it. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough. I removed the clips and pin but couldn't get the other end loose. May be I need to try and pry the piston back to allow enough room to slide the pad out. Sorry for the confusion, it seems others think they have to remove the caliper as well. I'll try it again.

Back