johnreeder

Friend of God
Ride
R3T 2008
Can the rear brake pads be replaced without removing the axle? Also, my bike seems to eat up rear pads about every 8,000 miles. Is this the norm or am I may be riding the rear brake a little?

I had 10,000 on mine and they still had meat on them but I changed them anyway. Not sure if you could just undue the front bolt and loosen the axle? I had my wheel of at the time.

Hey johnreeder I did mine a few months ago, well now it is last year at 10,000. I rode it hard and those pads wore out quick. Darksider's do that. I have a motorcycle jack so it isn't so bad. The axle needs to be removed to free op the brake bracket. Wish there were an easier way.

The rear pads are the easiest things in the world to replace ....
Just pull the retainers ('R' Clips) out of the slide pin, then slide out the pin ....
The pads just lift out. Reverse the process to re-install after pushing the pucks back into the caliper.
You can do the whole thing, minus pushing the pucks, without tools.
No need to go anywhere near the axle. :confused:
CAKE :)

And if you are in the habit of using rear brakes at all .... 8,000 miles is about all you can expect.

Last edited:
Yes, as Hellfire wrote. Just pull a pin and slide out the pads. Slip the new ones in.
It's a good thing it's an easy job. The Rocket seems to like rear pads a lot ! I get about 8k out of the rears.

Thanks for the heads up. I ride two up about 90% so I trail brake when trying to keep up with my mates. I went through them pretty fast with the Sprint so I'll buy some today when i go to my Triumph dealer. That way I'll be ready.

oldsprint03

As Hellfire said it is the most simple DIY job on the rocket all you need is a pair of long nose pliers(I use my fingers) pull out the clip remove the pin pull out old pads make sure piston is okay insert new pads insert pin replace the clip and you are done, it took me longer to type this than it does for me to change my rear pads.:D

Hey johnreeder I did mine a few months ago, well now it is last year at 10,000. I rode it hard and those pads wore out quick. Darksider's do that. I have a motorcycle jack so it isn't so bad. The axle needs to be removed to free op the brake bracket. Wish there were an easier way.

Bob are you smoking that funny stuff again;)

Rear Pads

Yes, I know they're easy to remove from the caliper; I usually do it when I replace the rear tire. But this time the pads wore out before the tire and i was wondering if it can be done without dealing with the rear axle. It looks like I'll have to back out the axle enough to clear the caliper bracket so it can be removed from the axle. The pads won't drop out of the caliper unless the caliper bracket is freed; that's the hard part. It means the the rear wheel will have to be off the floor or at least the weight of the bike off the tire and wheel and the bike supported. that's what I was hoping to avoid.

Back