TriumphR3Newb

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
I finally got my ram air installed and went for a long weekend ride. A couple of things happened, when I first fired up the bike after the install the orange engine light came on but went off shortly after going for a test ride. Also, I now notice a "knocking" sound. Not a engine knocking sound but I am wondering if it is simply engine noise from the ram air. (sounds like plastic hitting against something). I pulled the bear claw off thinking it was the new air cleaner coming loose and vibrating against a throttle bottle, but it wasn't that. I am thinking it's simply more noise that I am not used to. Lastly, I have had a couple of "pops" (backfires?) coming from one of the throttle bodies, anyone know if this is a likely occurrence with ram air? By the way, OMG the ram air is amazing, the growl and performance, now all I need is some new pipes and I will be all set. Thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Got a sort of 'knocking' sound at the left side sometimes when cruising at low rpm's in 5th. Have a Ramair too. Cannot pinpoint the cause.

Its all good...just induction noise.....i know what!!! read some threads!!!...its been talked about since Ramair came on the market!..
Type in Ramair noise ..or Induction noise or similar in the search box...

Like a TuneECU etc.? I kind of figured I might have to go down that road. Just not sure if I want to tackle that on my own but the nearest Triumph dealer is over 2 hours away (pain in the a$$).

I’m still a newb myself when it comes to upgrades and tunes. But from what little I know it’s a given to plan on changing the tune with any performance upgrades like intake/exhaust. There are plenty of existing tunes for common upgrades like the ram air. So you don’t need a custom tune, but you need to be able to load one.

Also from my limited knowledge, this isn’t something you’d need or want a dealer to handle, even if they would. If you installed the ram air, you can certainly manage loading a tune. Tons of info on the forum about it.

Yeah, I had another pop/backfire from the throttle body area, I am guessing I definitely need a new tune. Looks like the 12 minute tune did not quite work out as hoped. I will do some hunting around on here and see what I can find. Thanks.

Yep .... tune and pipes and just enjoy the growl. You can easily get caught up in clicks, pops and knocks but I reckon that its part of knowing your bike. Its time to worry when the noises change. Get a cable, download Tune ECU and just spend a bit of time getting used to hooking the bike up and looking around. You can only do damage purposefully in Tune ECU. Looking around is not going to break anything. When you get used to it you can afford the time to get obsessive about things like balancing throttle bodies far closer than any dealer would. My "04 has only ever been to a dealer once in its life.
You guys in the northern hemisphere have time to play when its too cold to ride ..... we here in the wonderful land of OZ do most of our playing in the shade when its too hot to ride. Fiddling is fun:rolleyes:

Back