R3T first riding thoughts . . .

@Bob R has a friend, Jesse, whose legs are so long his forward pegs place his feet forward of the engine guard location!!!
I think he is up there as well, like with a 37 inch inseam.
Wow!

I rode another 200 miles today. Got 34mpg overall. Nice smooth power but I am worried about the driveline. Let off on the throttle for engine braking and you can feel a rather large "gap" between the engine thrust and driveline. Not sure about that but it has been many years since I rode a shaft drive.

Wow!

I rode another 200 miles today. Got 34mpg overall. Nice smooth power but I am worried about the driveline. Let off on the throttle for engine braking and you can feel a rather large "gap" between the engine thrust and driveline. Not sure about that but it has been many years since I rode a shaft drive.
I too found the foot position to be high and back. I'm just 6'2" so the issue isn't as troublesome. I change seats. I now have a Corbin. The difference is the Corbin sets farther back. Seems to be better foot placement. I use the highway pegs a lot to stretch out.

You are a big dude like me so what seat mods? 0.946 is 0.946 so pipe mods and retuning won't change that BUT ya know I can live with it. ''Tis such a beautiful machine. The lash between the transmission and final drive bothers me much more. Very weird for me riding with a direct drive.
I'm only 6' with a 29" inseam. One of my first posts here was *****ing about the stock seat. I think I labeled it British Torture Device. I pulled the pad off,cut and moved the pan back about an inch or so which is as far back as the crossbar would allow. I then lowered it some and riveted it back together. I then reshaped the foam with a grinder and sanding disks. It no longer jabs me in the tail bone.

I'm only 6' with a 29" inseam. One of my first posts here was *****ing about the stock seat. I think I labeled it British Torture Device. I pulled the pad off,cut and moved the pan back about an inch or so which is as far back as the crossbar would allow. I then lowered it some and riveted it back together. I then reshaped the foam with a grinder and sanding disks. It no longer jabs me in the tail bone.
Very nice idea. Did you just use the same stock covering after you ground away the foam? On the other forum I am on, guys had been cutting out a lot of the foam and inserting surgical jell pad in there then recovering. If I can move the seat aft some, that will help.

Very nice idea. Did you just use the same stock covering after you ground away the foam? On the other forum I am on, guys had been cutting out a lot of the foam and inserting surgical jell pad in there then recovering. If I can move the seat aft some, that will help.
I cut a piece of memory foam floor mat I had laying around. I did the best I could with what I had.
I did reuse the stock cover. It is very stretchy. I also removed the cross bar. The seat is held in place with the rear seat bolt.

I cut a piece of memory foam floor mat I had laying around. I did the best I could with what I had.
I did reuse the stock cover. It is very stretchy. I also removed the cross bar. The seat is held in place with the rear seat bolt.
Got to start turning some wrenches. I plan to get this bike to a dealership to have them evaluate the shift linkage gap, only thing worrying me.

You would love this place, true all out biker bar near where I live.
History of Suck Bang Blow - Murrells Inlet Biker Bar

They left one of the 4 strokes out. It looks like a place I once would have enjoyed.
Ya sound like yer a gettin a little old! Lol.

I will be hanging out there some this spring and I bet I will be THE ONLY Rocket 3 owner there. You see about everything, mostly Harleys. I just could not bring myself to buy a Harley. Everybody in "the club" has a Harley. I was leaning to a Indian but the R3T kept calling my name. Most beautiful bike out there IMHO.

first thoughts when I rode my R3T the first time (bearing in mind the biggest bike I had ridden up to this point was a 1500)
G#D DA#N, HOLY SH!T, I'M GOING TO DIE, BUT WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THIS IS FUN, then the smile was stuck to my face for days,
I"m 6-foot, and I and I have that getting rid of the heal shifter, helped with the floor board spacing, I can shift faster with my toe anyway, and I had the long haul seat redone, and have the Rivco risers and that helped make it more comfortable, I can do 15-16 hours days, only stops are gas, pee, go, gas pee, go, gas, pee, Gatorade, go, and it feels good
Getting rid of the heel shifter is the next thing I will do. Reason being that a couple of times while parking, I have accidentally banged it with my heel as I am trying to get the kickstand down.

Getting rid of the heel shifter is the next thing I will do. Reason being that a couple of times while parking, I have accidentally banged it with my heel as I am trying to get the kickstand down.

I totally agree. A six gear trans. would have solved the issue. I did install a taller rear tire. I'm using a 205 60 16. I tried a 65 series, but it looked like it was going to be too tall. It may work with taller shocks. Other than that, for my 5'10" 32" inseam the bike fits me perfectly. I've never ridden a more comfortable exciting motorcycle. I've owned an 05 standard and now am 08 Tourer. I believe Corbin makes a seat that moves the rider back a little. Let's pray an updated Rocket is in the works with a six speed trans. with more electronic gadgets. I was also fortunate enough to install a set of Jardines before they stopped building them. With a remap and Jars. it truly is a cruiser on steroids. Even after riding a Rocket for 10 years or so, it still puts a smile on my face.

Back