R3T first riding thoughts . . .

Drove 4 hrs to look at a touring. When I test drove it, I didn't even go a block before turning around. It is the biggest small bike I rode. I'm 6'4" with 36" inseam and was having trouble getting my feet on the boards much less shifting. I got an older Rocket since the pegs are further forward but am still somewhat cramped.

Just as a datapoint, my road king has a police seat, 1" forward foot boards and a 2" forward brake pedal. My v-rod has 4" forward controls.

Your analysis is spot on. Biggest "small bike" I have ever sat on. I do think my mod ideas will work and I may just see if I can fit forward controls. Triumph engineers totally screwed up the floorboard placement. Like ALL of the motorcycle reviews, the reviewers just roll over and lick the the manufacturers azz.

Drove 4 hrs to look at a touring. When I test drove it, I didn't even go a block before turning around. It is the biggest small bike I rode. I'm 6'4" with 36" inseam and was having trouble getting my feet on the boards much less shifting. I got an older Rocket since the pegs are further forward but am still somewhat cramped.

Just as a datapoint, my road king has a police seat, 1" forward foot boards and a 2" forward brake pedal. My v-rod has 4" forward controls.

Quit yer griping, Daddy Long Legs, my legs are 7 inches shorter than yours!
If I had 3 of your inches, we'd both be tickled . . .

Quit yer griping, Daddy Long Legs, my legs are 7 inches shorter than yours!
If I had 3 of your inches, we'd both be tickled . . .

Oh man . . . I am used to it. I have had problems getting in and out of cars my whole life. The USAF recruiter told me, "you are NEVER going to be a pilot, you can't even fit into the plane you will be the one loading the bombs"! Dayummit I proved that bastard wrong. I will get those floorboards relocated right where they ought to be.

Dodah,
When you figure out how to lower the floorboard please post your results.
I have thought about doing the same thing to my touring.
When I had my Valkyrie there was a guy who came up with a real nifty lowering kit for the driver foot pegs.
You could lower them and move them forward. I would love to do the same with my rocket floorboards.
Thanks Eric

Oh man . . . I am used to it. I have had problems getting in and out of cars my whole life. The USAF recruiter told me, "you are NEVER going to be a pilot, you can't even fit into the plane.

I was told this exact same thing in the early 90's. So I told him I wasn't giving him 4 years of my life if I can't do the job I want. Not joining the service is still one of the biggest regrets of my life.

Dodah,
When I had my Valkyrie there was a guy who came up with a real nifty lowering kit for the driver foot pegs.
You could lower them and move them forward. I would love to do the same with my rocket floorboards.
Thanks Eric

Yes sir, WILCO. I am confident because a guy I know is a master welder and has built cycle frames, he is an artist. Another friend is an aircraft mechanic. Between the three of us, we will get it done. I will document everything.

I was told this exact same thing in the early 90's. So I told him I wasn't giving him 4 years of my life if I can't do the job I want. Not joining the service is still one of the biggest regrets of my life.

Mine too! I did not see myself being the guy who loaded the bombs. I learned to fly on my own, saving up my money, working two jobs, spending money on flying instead of girls and put off getting married. By age 34, I was in the airlines. Actually, it was the best way for me. I serve my country now in a different capacity but my friends who were military pilots are no longer flying. One flew F16s yet flunked two checkrides during initial airline training. Go figure. Mystery to me. Perhaps he did not want it enough. I learned that when doors don't open, pray then KICK them open!

Dodah,
Thanks Eric

There is only one obstacle. The kickstand. Also, the Triumph Highway bars will limit somewhat the forward limit but we will get it done.

first thoughts when I rode my R3T the first time (bearing in mind the biggest bike I had ridden up to this point was a 1500)
G#D DA#N, HOLY SH!T, I'M GOING TO DIE, BUT WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THIS IS FUN, then the smile was stuck to my face for days,
I"m 6-foot, and I and I have that getting rid of the heal shifter, helped with the floor board spacing, I can shift faster with my toe anyway, and I had the long haul seat redone, and have the Rivco risers and that helped make it more comfortable, I can do 15-16 hours days, only stops are gas, pee, go, gas pee, go, gas, pee, Gatorade, go, and it feels good
Looks like you got the blue one. Man that is a beautiful color combo. I found a local one for sale this year but got to it a day late. The first guy who saw it bought it.

Oh man . . . I am used to it. I have had problems getting in and out of cars my whole life. The USAF recruiter told me, "you are NEVER going to be a pilot, you can't even fit into the plane you will be the one loading the bombs"! Dayummit I proved that bastard wrong. I will get those floorboards relocated right where they ought to be.

@Bob R has a friend, Jesse, whose legs are so long his forward pegs place his feet forward of the engine guard location!!!
I think he is up there as well, like with a 37 inch inseam.

Back