R3T first riding thoughts . . .

At 5'8'" I cannot complain about the floorboards you are correct.

No really noticed the strain. sometimes wish I had a tach, but then I would never use it.

I love my bike, but that is my favorite color combo. She is classic.

Congrats

At 5'8'" I cannot complain about the floorboards you are correct.

No really noticed the strain. sometimes wish I had a tach, but then I would never use it.

I love my bike, but that is my favorite color combo. She is classic.

Congrats
Thank you. I created a bond with my old roadstar over the last 18 years and believe the same process will happen with my R3T. It is a unique beautiful machine.

first thoughts when I rode my R3T the first time (bearing in mind the biggest bike I had ridden up to this point was a 1500)
G#D DA#N, HOLY SH!T, I'M GOING TO DIE, BUT WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THIS IS FUN, then the smile was stuck to my face for days,
I"m 6-foot, and I and I have that getting rid of the heal shifter, helped with the floor board spacing, I can shift faster with my toe anyway, and I had the long haul seat redone, and have the Rivco risers and that helped make it more comfortable, I can do 15-16 hours days, only stops are gas, pee, go, gas pee, go, gas, pee, Gatorade, go, and it feels good

IMG_20140420_183006_582.jpg
I have hashed this one before here but still, what these Triumph engineers have done remains a great mystery to me. After rolling the first 200 miles on my (new to me) 2011 R3T, I am thinking of only two things that could be improved upon.

1) GEAR RATIOS. My old roadstar makes 100ft/lb of torque at 2250 peak torque rpm. It's fifth gear ratio is 0.75. The massive R3 makes 150ft/lb at 2500 rpm yet it's fifth gear ratio is 0.96. Cruising about 60 mph this feels good. Run 70 to 80 and the big engine seems like it is straining. Considering the amount of torque this beast makes, it seems that the engineers should have hit something like 0.68 ratio for the final gear. It sure would have made Highway cruising a bit more comfortable on long rides. Short shifting on the R3T is a must.

2). FLOORBOARD ORIENTATION. One word, MIDGETS. Guys with a 26 inseam and 5'7" will not have issues. As for me at 6'5"/280 this bike feels really small. The engineers put those floorboards WAAYYY too high and too far back. They can be changed though and if I keep this bike, they will be. I plan on fabricating entirely new rail mounts and rewelding the boards onto them. One option is to "cut and flip". I am studying that right now.

Overall, this is the most beautiful motorcycle I have seen in my life but for now, we are "dating". I have a lot to learn about it and appreciate everyone's advice and help.
I have hashed this one before here but still, what these Triumph engineers have done remains a great mystery to me. After rolling the first 200 miles on my (new to me) 2011 R3T, I am thinking of only two things that could be improved upon.

1) GEAR RATIOS. My old roadstar makes 100ft/lb of torque at 2250 peak torque rpm. It's fifth gear ratio is 0.75. The massive R3 makes 150ft/lb at 2500 rpm yet it's fifth gear ratio is 0.96. Cruising about 60 mph this feels good. Run 70 to 80 and the big engine seems like it is straining. Considering the amount of torque this beast makes, it seems that the engineers should have hit something like 0.68 ratio for the final gear. It sure would have made Highway cruising a bit more comfortable on long rides. Short shifting on the R3T is a must.

2). FLOORBOARD ORIENTATION. One word, MIDGETS. Guys with a 26 inseam and 5'7" will not have issues. As for me at 6'5"/280 this bike feels really small. The engineers put those floorboards WAAYYY too high and too far back. They can be changed though and if I keep this bike, they will be. I plan on fabricating entirely new rail mounts and rewelding the boards onto them. One option is to "cut and flip". I am studying that right now.

Overall, this is the most beautiful motorcycle I have seen in my life but for now, we are "dating". I have a lot to learn about it and appreciate everyone's advice and help.
I agree, this bike should have a 6 gear trans. It should have come with factory cruise and an optional tour pack and possibly a fairing with electronic gadgets. But with this said, I love my Rocket Touring. I understand your concern about the floor boards, but I'm only 5'10" with a 32" inseam and with bar risers this bike fits me perfectly. It's like it was made for me. I ride a little aggressive so, the performance is second to none. I'm so spoiled that nothing I've ridden in the last 12 years even comes close. This large bike handles so well that as high as the floor boards are I've just about work the floor board drag inserts down to the floor boards. I own the 2008 red/black, which is one of my favorite. But I have thought about buying a newer white/black. My first Rocket was a black 2005 classic. To me the Tourer is more comfortable. Although there were a few items they should have kept on the Touring model. So, about the only thing one can do to counter the lack of a 6th gear is to keep cruising speed under 70 or learn to endure the buzziness of the lower geared engine. It reminds me of driving an old muscle car with 410 gears. I've spoken too much so I'll stop and wish you the best with your new ride. I hope you can adjust the floors to please you and I'm sure you'll grow to love it. This forum will answer any concerns that may arise.

Install triple K&ns or the ramair filter and a free flowing pipe. Find a map to match on the resource section here. You wont be missing 6th gear any more. As for comfort I did major surgery on the stock seat.

I rent a few times a year and usually get the HD Road King. Like sitting atop a mini bike for me.

Drove 4 hrs to look at a touring. When I test drove it, I didn't even go a block before turning around. It is the biggest small bike I rode. I'm 6'4" with 36" inseam and was having trouble getting my feet on the boards much less shifting. I got an older Rocket since the pegs are further forward but am still somewhat cramped.

Just as a datapoint, my road king has a police seat, 1" forward foot boards and a 2" forward brake pedal. My v-rod has 4" forward controls.

first thoughts when I rode my R3T the first time (bearing in mind the biggest bike I had ridden up to this point was a 1500)
G#D DA#N, HOLY SH!T, I'M GOING TO DIE, BUT WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THIS IS FUN, then the smile was stuck to my face for days,
I"m 6-foot, and I and I have that getting rid of the heal shifter, helped with the floor board spacing, I can shift faster with my toe anyway, and I had the long haul seat redone, and have the Rivco risers and that helped make it more comfortable, I can do 15-16 hours days, only stops are gas, pee, go, gas pee, go, gas, pee, Gatorade, go, and it feels good
Good on ya. The bike just feels way to small for me despite the fact my roadstar sits so much lower. I wil totally refab those floorboard supports.

T
IMG_20140420_183006_582.jpg

I agree, this bike should have a 6 gear trans. It should have come with factory cruise and an optional tour pack and possibly a fairing with electronic gadgets. But with this said, I love my Rocket Touring. I understand your concern about the floor boards, but I'm only 5'10" with a 32" inseam and with bar risers this bike fits me perfectly. It's like it was made for me. I ride a little aggressive so, the performance is second to none. I'm so spoiled that nothing I've ridden in the last 12 years even comes close. This large bike handles so well that as high as the floor boards are I've just about work the floor board drag inserts down to the floor boards. I own the 2008 red/black, which is one of my favorite. But I have thought about buying a newer white/black. My first Rocket was a black 2005 classic. To me the Tourer is more comfortable. Although there were a few items they should have kept on the Touring model. So, about the only thing one can do to counter the lack of a 6th gear is to keep cruising speed under 70 or learn to endure the buzziness of the lower geared engine. It reminds me of driving an old muscle car with 410 gears. I've spoken too much so I'll stop and wish you the best with your new ride. I hope you can adjust the floors to please you and I'm sure you'll grow to love it. This forum will answer any concerns that may arise.

The seat on my 2011 R3T is superb. Seems that if anybody has to go into the motor, you could just have a 0.69 gear ground for fifth and replace that 0.94 one.

Install triple K&ns or the ramair filter and a free flowing pipe. Find a map to match on the resource section here. You wont be missing 6th gear any more. As for comfort I did major surgery on the stock seat.

You are a big dude like me so what seat mods? 0.946 is 0.946 so pipe mods and retuning won't change that BUT ya know I can live with it. ''Tis such a beautiful machine. The lash between the transmission and final drive bothers me much more. Very weird for me riding with a direct drive.

Last edited:
Back