R3T first riding thoughts . . .

DodahMan

Turbocharged
Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, 2011 Triumph Rocket III Tour
I have hashed this one before here but still, what these Triumph engineers have done remains a great mystery to me. After rolling the first 200 miles on my (new to me) 2011 R3T, I am thinking of only two things that could be improved upon.

1) GEAR RATIOS. My old roadstar makes 100ft/lb of torque at 2250 peak torque rpm. It's fifth gear ratio is 0.75. The massive R3 makes 150ft/lb at 2500 rpm yet it's fifth gear ratio is 0.96. Cruising about 60 mph this feels good. Run 70 to 80 and the big engine seems like it is straining. Considering the amount of torque this beast makes, it seems that the engineers should have hit something like 0.68 ratio for the final gear. It sure would have made Highway cruising a bit more comfortable on long rides. Short shifting on the R3T is a must.

2). FLOORBOARD ORIENTATION. One word, MIDGETS. Guys with a 26 inseam and 5'7" will not have issues. As for me at 6'5"/280 this bike feels really small. The engineers put those floorboards WAAYYY too high and too far back. They can be changed though and if I keep this bike, they will be. I plan on fabricating entirely new rail mounts and rewelding the boards onto them. One option is to "cut and flip". I am studying that right now.

Overall, this is the most beautiful motorcycle I have seen in my life but for now, we are "dating". I have a lot to learn about it and appreciate everyone's advice and help.

Yeah, floorboards are a little cramped for us taller folk (6'3"), so I fitted highway pegs to the crash bars so I can stretch out a bit. It's not like we need to change gears often, even in the twisties. I don't mind the height of the boards, when parked next to my mates Hardly Road King, his clearance is way less that ours. Makes a huge difference.

I've also had mine re-mapped by a member on here (thanks Sleeves) as it came fitted with Jardine Exhaust and I fitted the Ramair.

I did not like the standard factory handlebars though and have recently fitted a set of T-Bars - Wow! Has improved comfort & confidence in one go.

You will find quite a few posts about the cruising rpm "issue" at 70-80mph. Some don't mind, some do. It's a big can of worms

I can't comment on the T floorboards specifically, but at 6'4.5" my R3R had pegs further back and was quite comfortable for me.

I haven't felt the strain... but that could also be due to the updated TuneECU map after I put on my D&D slip-ons. I've taken out my brides Fat-Boy, which has six gears, and though it will give you a comfortable cruising speed (for HD at least...) if you do a quick turn of the throttle she does not respond well. Unlike Fiona, my R3T... Doing the same I quickly found I crested 100MPH without actually intending to.
-MIG

Yeah, floorboards are a little cramped for us taller folk (6'3"), so I fitted highway pegs to the crash bars so I can stretch out a bit. It's not like we need to change gears often, even in the twisties. I don't mind the height of the boards, when parked next to my mates Hardly Road King, his clearance is way less that ours. Makes a huge difference.

I've also had mine re-mapped by a member on here (thanks Sleeves) as it came fitted with Jardine Exhaust and I fitted the Ramair.

I did not like the standard factory handlebars though and have recently fitted a set of T-Bars - Wow! Has improved comfort & confidence in one go.

I agree on the handle bars. For now I will install 2 inch risers and that will help. Should she stay in my barn, she WILL experience significant floorboard modifications. My roadstar' boards are like your Harley buddy's . . . 1.75 lower than the R3T plus so far forward they are almost touching the Highway bars. My roadstar is a low slung slug but more comfortable than this R3T, by far. It is so odd that a tall bike like the R3T has these floorboards so high and tight. I have 50,000 on my roadstar and done the blue ridge parkway several times. Sure the boards scrape now and then but no big deal. I will have to make a huge change on this R3T in order to have comfort.

Rolled on another hundred miles today, most on the interstate and I can live with the gearing. I believe the Triumph engineers are a h€££ of a lot smarter than me. Still, I wish for a sixth speed. The one thing that nags me . . . the "dentist drill" buzzing humming sound of the engine. My gawdd, it's like getting three root canals going on at the same time. Solution? IMHO louder pipes. I guess all rockets have the dentist drill sound? Also, this machine really is not broken in. Only 6,000 miles and still shifting a bit clunky. Time and miles will smooth things out for sure.

Another thing . . . it has been quite some time since I rode a bike with shaft drive. My bikes for the
last 20 years have run belts, smooth and quiet. This R3T shaft drive has a "lag" or lash effect. Blip the throttle "flash style" and you can feel the slop in the driveline. I hate that. This is why I sold my 83 Honda CB1000 classic. I will check the drive tomorrow to make sure it actually has lube in it.

For now, still in the dating phase but I love the looks. Just got to change a few things.

I have hashed this one before here but still, what these Triumph engineers have done remains a great mystery to me. After rolling the first 200 miles on my (new to me) 2011 R3T, I am thinking of only two things that could be improved upon.

1) GEAR RATIOS. My old roadstar makes 100ft/lb of torque at 2250 peak torque rpm. It's fifth gear ratio is 0.75. The massive R3 makes 150ft/lb at 2500 rpm yet it's fifth gear ratio is 0.96. Cruising about 60 mph this feels good. Run 70 to 80 and the big engine seems like it is straining. Considering the amount of torque this beast makes, it seems that the engineers should have hit something like 0.68 ratio for the final gear. It sure would have made Highway cruising a bit more comfortable on long rides. Short shifting on the R3T is a must.

2). FLOORBOARD ORIENTATION. One word, MIDGETS. Guys with a 26 inseam and 5'7" will not have issues. As for me at 6'5"/280 this bike feels really small. The engineers put those floorboards WAAYYY too high and too far back. They can be changed though and if I keep this bike, they will be. I plan on fabricating entirely new rail mounts and rewelding the boards onto them. One option is to "cut and flip". I am studying that right now.

Overall, this is the most beautiful motorcycle I have seen in my life but for now, we are "dating". I have a lot to learn about it and appreciate everyone's advice and help.

Big old boys like you will probably always have comfort issues no matter what the bike. Heck, I'm 5-11 had still have to tailor the ergonomics on any bike I buy. On the R3T I installed, or I should say Caliverger installed, the Rivco risers and Roadster bars that 1olbull gave me. Now the riding position is perfect. And yes, this is the most beautiful bike I've ever owned too and I've had some beauties. Did you ever post a pic of yours? If so I missed it.

You will find quite a few posts about the cruising rpm "issue" at 70-80mph. Some don't mind, some do. It's a big can of worms

I can't comment on the T floorboards specifically, but at 6'4.5" my R3R had pegs further back and was quite comfortable for me.

I bet you are younger. Plus, it is all in what you are used to. I rent a few times a year and usually get the HD Road King. Like sitting atop a mini bike for me. I will slide atop the passenger pillon and blast through the AZ desert at 80 mph. That sixth speed is sweet.

Big old boys like you will probably always have comfort issues no matter what the bike. Heck, I'm 5-11 had still have to tailor the ergonomics on any bike I buy. On the R3T I installed, or I should say Caliverger installed, the Rivco risers and Roadster bars that 1olbull gave me. Now the riding position is perfect. And yes, this is the most beautiful bike I've ever owned too and I've had some beauties. Did you ever post a pic of yours? If so I missed it.

Hey bro. I am blessed! I waited two years looking for this exact combo and I found it. Bought it sight unseen and could not be happier. Dang thing really is "showroom new". All my friends impressed.

I am attaching two pics, one of my old Roadstar (34th one off the assembly line) and my 2011 R3T. Ya know I am actually starting to act like a few of my HD buddies who just sit in the garage drinking a beer while looking at that beautiful shining beast! Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5558.JPG
    IMG_5558.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 5
Hey bro. I am blessed! I waited two years looking for this exact combo and I found it. Bought it sight unseen and could not be happier. Dang thing really is "showroom new". All my friends impressed.

I am attaching two pics, one of my old Roadstar (34th one off the assembly line) and my 2011 R3T. Ya know I am actually starting to act like a few of my HD buddies who just sit in the garage drinking a beer while looking at that beautiful shining beast! Lol.

She's a beaut. One of the advantages of owning bikes like these with superb garage appeal is to just sit in the garage/shop at the end of the day, drink fine whiskey or beer, and admire the beautiful beast.

Back