R3 in CT

Rather be Riding
Ride
09 Rocket 3 standard
I just ran tune ecu for the first time and I found out I have map 10222. My bike is a 2009 standard R3 with cats removed and after market pipe. I also have a K&N air filter. Looking at the tune ecu site it looks like I need either the 10226 or 10228, both say they are for aftermarket pipe with cat delete. Does anyone know what the difference between these two are or if there is a map that is a better fit. Thanks for any help with this.

I just ran tune ecu for the first time and I found out I have map 10222. My bike is a 2009 standard R3 with cats removed and after market pipe. I also have a K&N air filter. Looking at the tune ecu site it looks like I need either the 10226 or 10228, both say they are for aftermarket pipe with cat delete. Does anyone know what the difference between these two are or if there is a map that is a better fit. Thanks for any help with this.

You mean 20222?

Factory Tune 20228
link http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex...ed_by_model/all_Rocket/RocketIII/20228Map.zip I think maybe will do the job suits cat delete & aftermarket muffler.

Otherwise select a custom Map that matches your set up.

Thanks, You are right it is 20222, I will try the 20228 tune, do you have any experience with that one?

Download both tunes onto your PC and open them up and have a look... there may be little difference maybe the odd tweak. If I were you id pick the latest and use that one, as it may have superseded the other. If it runs ok then fine if not use the other. Also look in tables I1 I2 & I3 and see f they are the same..if not copy I3 into I2 & I1... then go to the secondary throttle table and copy 100% into all gears and bingo.... you got a faster bike for free... no restrictions in the lower gears.

What John Ward said - copy the I3 table and paste it to I1&12 and do the 100% thing with the secondary throttle tables.

I and many others have done this with great success - adds a lot more grunt with no detriment to the motor.

I mysef have downloaded a custom tune from the Tune_Ecu webpage - you will just need to locate them and visually scan them to find one that matches your current bike setup download it and take a look at it or compare it to yours. I ended up trying in total 10 different tunes until I found one that was best for me. I still needed to do a few tweaks to the tables myself to reduce exhaust popping.

Last edited:
John and John, thank you both for your replies. It seems like this will be a little trial and error. I have to learn how to copy tables etc. and see which tune will work best. I think I will try the 20228 and if that doesn't fully do the job, I will try the 20222 2SA. At this point I am not concerned about the most power, I am just looking to get this engine running smooth.

The engine should run smooth whatever the map. Changing the map won't cure that.

Have you balanced the throttle bodies and checked the other things ie stepper motor operation?

IMO best thing is to make sure all is well first.

I finally was able to get my R3 in a ride-able condition. I balanced the throttle bodies as best as I could but then the idle would stay high. Then checking the TPS I found it it has the black internals(I had read that the 09s should have had the updated TPS, guess not). I used the advice I read on this forum to spray with wd-40 and work it back and forth with a screwdriver, which helped. When putting back on I rotated it until the idle was 1000-1100. I was able to ride my bike and it accelerates nicely, but I get quite a bit of decell popping when slowing down. I will order the TPS with blue internals. Will turning the O2 sensor off help with reducing the decell popping, any ideas welcome.

Back