R3 + shortbed = what the hell are you doing?

and how long are your ramps? I found these and I'm trying to figure what's every extra feet is worth:
Black Widow Motorcycle Ramps, 4-Beam Arched - 8' and 9' Long

Guys up in thread said 12 feet ramps but with truck front wheels on the curbs and maybe even on rhino ramps the angles should be less challenging.

I “believe” (because my ramp is back in Canada while I’m here in Mesa, AZ) that my ramp is 8ft and like Mike says, it will store inside across the seat of the extended cab of my Chev pickup which was handy when I was still a working stiff and transported my bike to a vacation storage place in El Cajon, CA twice a winter.

....I have to be able to accommodate my sidecar rig, .

198 (1632 x 1224).jpg

Is that a Velorex chair?

Anyone ever haul one of these in a short bed truck? Going to go get my bike tomorrow. 10 hours there and 10 hours back. From my measurements of what I can find online the rear tire will sit on the tailgate. Might buy a 2x10x8 for the tires to sit on so all the weight wont be on the gate. If it works it'll save me a couple hundred, if not I'll just have to hit U-haul up for a trailer when I get there. I'm impatient and I don't always do the smartest thing (Like having someone else bring it to me).
I haul rental... like 40 a day pickup and drop at the same location. A lot more one way.
Price em... and avoid the YouTube bike loading fail vids

elcanaco is rubbing it in that he is in Mesa AZ sunshine while I'm molding up here in the PACNORWEST. I bought the 10ft ramps because I watched him offload the EG with the 8 ft ramps. My wife was watching from the front porch, and being very fond of elcanaco, asked "What's he doing? I can't watch this" and went into the house.

Steve, yes, Aluma has some very nice trailers but I was going for price, not knowing how many times I'd be using it. Since I bought it, it has been two times. At what I paid for it, I can sell it for the same price should I decide to do so. I'll be hauling it to Baja in January and Moab, UT for the annual Ural gathering next year. It is a nice sturdy trailer with LED lights, heavy duty nitrogen filled tires, a spare tire mount and non-skid on the fenders. The wood is high end pressure treated with few flaws. I looked at others that cost more, had angle steel rails and cruddy, knot filled wood planks.

Please note that the trailer is wet, as is my fence, my house, my yard, my head and everything within a thousand square miles of me. GADS!

Peter, it is a Russian Sputnik car. They were initially developed in the Soviet Union in the late 20s as cargo sidecars but went out of business I believe in the late 90s with their remaining inventory being sold to Ural. The Velorex is Czech I believe and fiberglass. The Sputnik is typical sturdy Soviet stuff; steel. The deck lifts up for easy access of lady friend or pooch. When I had it installed I opted for a Brembo brake which is essential when riding off road and going down hill.

Of note, I've contacted two of the premier sidecar builders and the Rocket 3 is an excellent candidate for a sidecar for when I decide to get older, weaker and more gray.

Last edited:
I saw a couple trailers similar.
The light weight of the Aluma with its flat covered deck and built-in easy pull out long full width ramp makes for VERY easy ride-on and ride-off loading.
Tis light enough that it hauls my R3R easily behind my Wrangler TJ.
Big (possibly Spain's best) trailer builder is near my mates bike-shop. They have loads of options but are not cheap. We have VAT to contend with.
My current trailer is a Dutch made open box trailer but with a high bed. I would not even try to get the R3 in it. And these days I would rather not push the Guzzi up there either.
A series 1 Discovery will tow pretty much anything. Even up a 1 in 4. Pulled my neighbours Suzuki 4wd out of a 45° incline.

But I am going to take a photo of the U-Haul to the trailer guys - see what they say. My gut says (here) 3500-4000€

Big (possibly Spain's best) trailer builder is near my mates bike-shop. They have loads of options but are not cheap. We have VAT to contend with.
My current trailer is a Dutch made open box trailer but with a high bed. I would not even try to get the R3 in it. And these days I would rather not push the Guzzi up there either.
A series 1 Discovery will tow pretty much anything. Even up a 1 in 4. Pulled my neighbours Suzuki 4wd out of a 45° incline.

But I am going to take a photo of the U-Haul to the trailer guys - see what they say. My gut says (here) 3500-4000€

HOLY $HIT!
Perhaps build yer own?
I did that long ago. Wasn't too hard & it's still running. Hauled my R3R & Bro Dan's Honda VTX to Moab last year.

Perhaps build yer own?
Trailers here have to have the equivalent of a VIN.
Was not always the case - and I have seen some TERRIFYINGLY poor trailers here.
Not everybody understands engineering.
The price factor is why I want a flatbed with sides. I can live without a roof. but it has to do more than tow a bike.
I'd then sell the Dutch one. Who needs two trailers?.

Same here. Material receipts, including axle(s), to get & hitch are presented to the State Patrol for inspection & subsequent application of the Vin number.

Back