R3 + shortbed = what the hell are you doing?

Danvitt

.060 Over
Ride
2013 Roadster
Anyone ever haul one of these in a short bed truck? Going to go get my bike tomorrow. 10 hours there and 10 hours back. From my measurements of what I can find online the rear tire will sit on the tailgate. Might buy a 2x10x8 for the tires to sit on so all the weight wont be on the gate. If it works it'll save me a couple hundred, if not I'll just have to hit U-haul up for a trailer when I get there. I'm impatient and I don't always do the smartest thing (Like having someone else bring it to me).

Anyone ever haul one of these in a short bed truck? Going to go get my bike tomorrow. 10 hours there and 10 hours back. From my measurements of what I can find online the rear tire will sit on the tailgate. Might buy a 2x10x8 for the tires to sit on so all the weight wont be on the gate. If it works it'll save me a couple hundred, if not I'll just have to hit U-haul up for a trailer when I get there. I'm impatient and I don't always do the smartest thing (Like having someone else bring it to me).
I like your style mate, asking the questions sounds smart to me.
I assume the 2x10x8 is a timber plank??? Good idea maybe brace it or put on rubber to avoid slipping assuming the bed of the truck is painted or poly liner.

Pain in the arse getting it in and out of the truck. UHaul trailer safer easier . My 2 cents worth.

I'll double down on his 2 coppers.

If you go to youtube and look for motorcycle load fails you will see they all have nearly one thing in common, a high (think pickup) platform they are trying to load on. If watching them doesn't convince you to get a U haul then at least you may be able to learn from the mistakes others have made trying to load motorcycles into pick up trucks. ;)

bob

Lol, I love watching those videos. In my case the dealer has a loading dock. Not sure if its fit for pickup truck use though (it may be too high). To unload I intend to use a ditch or whatever terrain I can find. In any case I won't be using the ramp thing. I think I might be leaning towards the trailer. My gate is rusty and while the a board under the tires will hold it up I'm bet a worried about sliding. If I can just find someone to drive the truck I'll ride the bike back :)

Perhaps someone has a trailer to loan . . . ?
I have a great new solo trailer that just hauled my R3R 2500 miles on way to Texas.
Too bad I be in WA State . . .

If you have access to a truck loading dock at each end of the trip, it can be done. I took a day and built a Harbor Frieght 1700# trailer to drive 1000 miles one way to get my Rocket. About $350 complete.

Back