Visualising metric is much easier than imperial/US measurements. I can actually "see" 1,000 metres - eg 10 football fields - a lot easier than 1,760 yards. I couldn't care less that my Rocket is called a metric. I'm just thankful it's nuts and bolts are metric. Easy to tell a 10 is smaller than an 11. Working with 11/32, 5/16, 3/8 etc was a pain.

I always preferred mpg though - until the 'g's starting being different sizes. At least a litre is a litre is a litre. A quart or a gallon needs qualification; who thinks that's a good idea?

That's your problem - 10 football fields are only a 1000 yards long. Your visulization is all wrong.

Ygransom,
Canberra be from OZ. His football fields are 100 meters long.
His 1776 yard (1 mile) comparison to a 1000 meters (1 Km) was a tad problematic as 1 Km is only .62 mile.

My work frequently forces me to work in both arenas and I wholeheartedly agree that metric is a WAY better, easier to use, system. Moving decimal points is much easier than dividing out fractions and converting yards to feet.
Just my Km/h X .9113444 = feet/sec worth,
1olwiseassbull

I do know the difference between a km and a mile. Just find it more difficult to visualise 17.6 of something than 10 of something - regardless of what it is. That was my point.

I do know the difference between a km and a mile. Just find it more difficult to visualise 17.6 of something than 10 of something - regardless of what it is. That was my point.

Hey Mate, I'm on your side here! :D:D:D
I have made that same mistake about "Football" field length.
Kinda like the different g types, ain't it?

Metric is much easier. The other day I needed a wrench. 5/16 to small, 3/8 was to big but 11/32 was just right. What a pain in the ass. At least metric the increment is consistent a mm at a time.

BTW - don't forget the end zones of the football field.

Agreed.....it's easier

Metric is much easier. The other day I needed a wrench. 5/16 to small, 3/8 was to big but 11/32 was just right. What a pain in the ass. At least metric the increment is consistent a mm at a time.

BTW - don't forget the end zones of the football field.

When I started this thread I was not downing the use of the metric system. I started twisting wrenches for a living in the early 70's, just before the metric system came of age in the US so I, like many actually prefer the metric system.

HOWEVER, what I complain about is the "METRIC stigma" attached to the Triumph (and other brands)....as if harley is somehow above or better than all of us who ride the metric brands. I have never laid a wrench on a late model BMW bike, but have on many BMW cars,,,,guess what they are METRIC,,,,just like a harley. I still have British standard wrenches and sockets that I used on Nortons, Triumph and BSA in the 60's and 70's.........and I'm really glad I have little use for them anymore.....I actually am planning to take them to the swap meet in Rhinebeck this year and recoup a few bucks.
I think a better designation for harley is "low-tech, air-cooled V-twin with price twice its actual value".......but we know this will never fly. BTW I'm in the process of buying a Victory tourer that has accident damage........and those are even thrown in "metrics". Probably Polaris industries is producing the only true American built iron right now...;just my opinion.

Back