Mully95,

The Harley dealer in Traverse City carries Triumph but they have limited showroom pieces. Back in 2008 I was going to buy a new America and went to them because they are close. Told the guy what I wanted and said to him, give me a price and the soonest you can have one. Guaranteed sale and he never called me back!!

Needless to say, I immediately called Dave at Triumph Detroit and he had one in stock and gave me a ood price. I bought my rst America feom them in 2002. And I bought my Rocket feom them. It is a drive and anything other than an oil change I run down to Utica and see them.

In fact I am in Utica tonight and going in for my 20,000 mile service in the morning. Getting heated grips and my Garmin 665 installed too. It was cold as H... this morning driving down. Left home and it was about 40 and had snowed at 7 am. Only thing that got cold were my fingers and feet a bit. My Aerostich suit with the liner put in was pretty warm.

I don't blame you. I can't stand hardly dealerships anyways. They think every bike in there is made of gold and will out run, out perform, etc... every bike on the planet.

When I was in the factory (admittedly a few years ago now) the tour guy told me that engine casings were made in the UK but demand got to big and so triumph built there own factory in Thailand but the casings were shipped over and all final machining was done in one of the other UK factorys to very high tolerances. Frames are also outsourced to Thailand and maybe India (can't remember exactly)

I believe that is pretty much the way it is now too. We saw quite large machining cells that were doing crankcases and other parts.

It looks like most of the dirty and noisy processes are done at their Thailand factories like welding, casting and forging. The factories over there are Triumph owned so very much controlled by them. Plus John Bloor still works in Hinkley-2 on most days.

Don't think they have anything made in India.

... It doesn't bother me but people that tout something that is made in America is the best are full of Sh*t.

Those days are gone. Sad enough !! I support my country when I can but I try to be realistic too.

Hear, hear. The days of "Made in (insert your country here)" are long gone unless, of course, you live in China :) We live in a global market where everyone goes to where they get the cheapest (certainly not necessarily the best) product made. That said, just because a part is made in China or Brazil or wherever, doesn't automatically mean it's crap. Embraer planes are Brazilian and are not too shabby. I've seen some pretty piss poor products made in the USA and Canada let me tell you.

As for the Harley vs Metric thing, I stopped fretting over that years ago. It is what it is and you, or I , will never change it. I am proud that I ride a Rocket and would not trade it for anything. I am also proud that I am not a member of the flock of sheep that ride the same ol' bike (they think is made in America) made by a T-Shirt company. BTW, take a look at the labels in the T-shirts and see where they're made. I doubt it's Wisconsin.

I have an HD dealer that I can literally see from my office window. I walked in there once, just to see what the fuss was about, and was treated like a second class citizen and would not go in there for oil if they were giving it away.

Dealer told me a while ago that as most bikes are sold outside the UK then an Asian factory made distribution costs a lot cheaper.like Battersea says it is under Triumph control so quality should be the same, it's probably better!:D

Metric is easier to work with than Imperial anyway so I'd say getting labelled a Metric bike is probably a good thing. I'd guess like me most the Aussie's on this site except Mitch and Ponters were tought Imperial at school and then had to learn Metric for themselves like I did. I still have to convert to feet and inches to visualise in my head how long something is but apart from that I work in Metric.

I am the same back to imperial for the visual thing.always converting litres to gallons .it just gives me an idea of how economical the vechiles are these days compared to how they used to be thirty years

Even the cops were giving descriptions of bad guys in feet and inches up until 5 or 6 years ago. Know that we went to decimal currency in Feb 1966 .... thought we went to metric then .. didn't we :eek:

I am the same back to imperial for the visual thing.always converting litres to gallons .it just gives me an idea of how economical the vechiles are these days compared to how they used to be thirty years

At work if the blokes in the yard say a peice of timber is 150 x 50 - 3.6 long I've got to think 6 x 2 - 12 foot long to visualize it in my head.

Even the cops were giving descriptions of bad guys in feet and inches up until 5 or 6 years ago. Know that we went to decimal currency in Feb 1966 .... thought we went to metric then .. didn't we :eek:

1977 I think the year I left school they were trying to teach us the new system for the last couple of years I was there.

I was at the doctors the other day and she asked me how tall I was when I said 5 foot 10 she had no idea. I had to stand against the wall chart. Apparently I'm 177cm tall.

Back