Read the whole sentence......

Stigma? :confused: It's the Harley's that are the dinosaurs.

What I was trying to get across was the mis-conception that others are metric while horley is not. They are just as "Metric" as any other bike on the planet. AND if you read my last para, you will see that I agree with you. :D:D

WTF are you lot on about - hammer? Yep. Gaffer tape? Yep. Adjustable crescent? Yep. Tool box sorted, regardless of make!

....hang on, was that a 6" or 150mm crescent?......

yupper, absolutely right

WTF are you lot on about - hammer? Yep. Gaffer tape? Yep. Adjustable crescent? Yep. Tool box sorted, regardless of make!

....hang on, was that a 6" or 150mm crescent?......

11mm/ 7/16", 13mm/ 1/2", 14mm/9/16" etc,etc........if the wrench fits, use it right?? An then again there is that standby metric crescent wrench if we need it LOL

It's the gaffer tape that sh*ts me...... used to be two inches wide, now it's only fifty mm. Big bluddy gaps everywhere........

When I started this thread I was not downing the use of the metric system. I started twisting wrenches for a living in the early 70's, just before the metric system came of age in the US so I, like many actually prefer the metric system.

HOWEVER, what I complain about is the "METRIC stigma" attached to the Triumph (and other brands)....as if harley is somehow above or better than all of us who ride the metric brands. I have never laid a wrench on a late model BMW bike, but have on many BMW cars,,,,guess what they are METRIC,,,,just like a harley. I still have British standard wrenches and sockets that I used on Nortons, Triumph and BSA in the 60's and 70's.........and I'm really glad I have little use for them anymore.....I actually am planning to take them to the swap meet in Rhinebeck this year and recoup a few bucks.
I think a better designation for harley is "low-tech, air-cooled V-twin with price twice its actual value".......but we know this will never fly. BTW I'm in the process of buying a Victory tourer that has accident damage........and those are even thrown in "metrics". Probably Polaris industries is producing the only true American built iron right now...;just my opinion.

It is ashamed what Harley has become. Back in the day when Indian and Harley was going head to head, it was about performance and out doing each other. Harley has become so entrenched with the V-Twin and air cooled image it will be their downfall.

The men that modified bikes and cars in the past were always looking for more power or shaving weight. The modern Harley is more concerned about the perceived tradition.

Indian comeback??

It is ashamed what Harley has become. Back in the day when Indian and Harley was going head to head, it was about performance and out doing each other. Harley has become so entrenched with the V-Twin and air cooled image it will be their downfall.

The men that modified bikes and cars in the past were always looking for more power or shaving weight. The modern Harley is more concerned about the perceived tradition.

Yeh, Polaris industries stepped it up a notch with their offerings (Victory) but I'm still hoping for an Indian comeback with some genuine millenium era technology from Polaris.....I'm thinkin a new Chief might make a nice 2nd ride.

Go figure this one,,,we have two horley dealerships within 30 miles of one another, one of them is a horley/Triumph. The other dealership used to have Buel before they went bellyup, so they thought maybe they would try for Triumph. Triumph says NO, it would be too territorial that close....$hit/d*mn, because they are the "nice" dealer, willing to act normal and go out of their way for anyone. I would be willing to patronize them if they were a dealer. The current dealer....I only go there when I have to.....do all my own work and usually order from on-line.

True story from a machinist.

The engine blocks of Chevy vehicles that are made in Mexico are of higher quality steel and tolerances than that same make of block made in USA.

It doesn't bother me but people that tout something that is made in America is the best are full of Sh*t.

Those days are gone. Sad enough !! I support my country when I can but I try to be realistic too.

When I install higher voltage electrical components or light the fire under my stainless steel to make liquid thunder I think that American made is still the best. I would advise that in circumstances that would dramitcally affect your health or welfare to consult with dedicated professionals that care :D. Drink hootch from China ? Mexico ? From me ? Just sayin ;). I drink it too.

I grew up with ASE wrenches and now that I have to seemingly have two sets of everything including allen wrenches even at work just sucks. Lets pick one and move on. My Chevy truck is all metric. At 56 I used to be good at looking at a bolt and saying thats 9/16 or 3/4 but now life is more complicated, sadly.

I do understand the content of the original post and they have two separate parts counters at the local HD/Triumph dealership ;):rolleyes:

Back