Darron

.040 Over
Hi All,

I've read many comments about r3 problems... So this post is to gather info into one area for examination of the r3. (If there is already a post like this, forgive me, I didn't find it).

My '05 was purchased in October of '05.At the first 500 mile check and service it was dying at lights occasionally. Dealer reset idle. OK for 10K. (Cost of service, $180)

At about 2K it started leaking oil from the cam chain tensioner at the right - front of
the block... dealer replaced the tensioner. (Cost $0. Under warranty)

At 4K it started leaking oil just under the oil reserve tank. Shop kept the bike 3 days... could find NO leak, (and hasn't leaked since). (Cost $0. Under warranty)

At 13K bike started to idle fast when stopped at lights. Idle was reset by the dealer. Within a month the bike began to idle too fast again, (up to 2100rpm), and was taken back to shop. Dealer set idle according to a new factory directive. OK up to now, (16K). (Cost 0. Under warranty)

Tires last about 5K on rear and 12K on front. (Cost appx. $1200/year @ 15K/year)

Averaging about 35 miles per gallon.

Change oil and filter at recommended intervals with reccommended oil. I use the WIX 51358 oil filter which allows the chrome cover to be used. (Cost $parts - I supply labor).

Dealer rating: (Euro Shop of Waco, TX) Excellent!

NOTE: when washing the bike, don't spray water up under the tank. My instruments will
go dead until it drys out. The bike will still run... just the instruments won't show anything. When the instruments comes back on, the 2 trip milage indicators will be
reset to zero. Dealer reported there were others with that same problem.

Last edited:
Darron:

The only comment I want to comment on is the 'oil leak under the oil reserve tank'...It wasn't an oil leak at all, it was the shipping preservative applied to the engine, I'll call it cosmoline though it isn't. I was told it is hard to get from under the oil tank and I had some 'leaks' too. My other comment is that the tank isn't a 'reserve' tank. The engine is a dry sump (scavenged crankcase) engine much like the Triumph's of old, aka: Meriden bikes. The tank is your oil, not reserve that's why it's important to check the oil after running the bike for a few minutes and checking the level when the bike is fairly level (side to side).

There is a check valve located under the sump plate that's supposed to keep the oli from draining back into the sump while the engine is shut down. I guess some of those check valves leak too.

Other than that, my average mpg is around 40, but then, I drive the bike like the old fart I am.:D

If it don't quit raining here soon, I'll need pontoons to 'float' it down the road.

I had radiator leak from day one took a couple trips to find (solder joint at the neck under cap). new radiator at 600 miles n/c warranty. performed 600 mile at same time $180.00 seems cheep after owning a BMW:D

No real problems with mine. 2006 Classic, got it in Feb '06. I had a recall to check handlebar clamp tension. First service done at 600. I changed the oil at 5000 myself and when I reach 10,000 I'll take it in for a service.

I have an issue with paint on the tank that I may see if Triumph will fix under warranty. It didn't show up until it spent some time in the sun.

hey pig9r,
don't bother with those dots on your gas tank, thats braille so that a blind person will know where to put the gas in. You're welcome
Bob

Yeah... don't let a such a minor glitch spoil your owning and riding satisfaction

I'd not quibble about it. Quite frankly, I probably would not have noticed it in the first place.:eek: Jamie

what?

Rademis you worry me. A blind r3 jock? What next? A deaf piano tuner? Water wings?

Last edited:
No real problems with mine. 2006 Classic, got it in Feb '06. I had a recall to check handlebar clamp tension. First service done at 600. I changed the oil at 5000 myself and when I reach 10,000 I'll take it in for a service.

I have an issue with paint on the tank that I may see if Triumph will fix under warranty. It didn't show up until it spent some time in the sun.

Piggr:

Your bike has acne. Maybe a little Clearasil is in order.:D

Back