albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
I am rather baffled and mildly p.....ed off for the second time in 30 days since new my bike would not start .. first time had to trailer it to the dealer 70 miles away somehow main fuse blew now on saturday having lunch at a restaurant on a very hot day I cannot get the bike to start actually even the TFT WOULD NOT COME UP ON SCREEN batttery is good all the fuses good what is it? had to go get a trailer and bring it home since nothing I tried got any results tuesday drive back to the dealership not amused at all never had this sort of problems with the old R3 any ideas t save me a trip to the dealer??

Haven’t heard of one failing on a Rocket (yet), but the TFT suddenly died on my wife’s Street Triple and the bike wouldn’t do anything. Completely dead. Got a new dash under warranty. If that’s the problem the only fix is a new dash. I know it’s happened on the odd Scrambler 1200 and that dash is similar to the Rocket’s.

Edit: by the way, it’s not unheard of but certainly isn’t common.

Last edited:
I am rather baffled and mildly p.....ed off for the second time in 30 days since new my bike would not start .. first time had to trailer it to the dealer 70 miles away somehow main fuse blew now on saturday having lunch at a restaurant on a very hot day I cannot get the bike to start actually even the TFT WOULD NOT COME UP ON SCREEN batttery is good all the fuses good what is it? had to go get a trailer and bring it home since nothing I tried got any results tuesday drive back to the dealership not amused at all never had this sort of problems with the old R3 any ideas t save me a trip to the dealer??
I buy mine only a week ago. and some problems are a headache.
The first day after picking up my Rocket 3R from the dealership, I parked it at home and it didn't start anymore. After hauling it away, the shop manager tells me that a part of the electric starter was loose. They said it was a simple connector and fixed it soon. Next day, when I put gas, I splashed on top of the tank and the information screen. I think this bike is dangerous with the gas and air in empty tank. Suddenly in seconds the disply glass has been cracked in two parts.
I don't understand how this expensive bike can be so sensible to this things.

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of your problem with the TFT not coming on. Three days ago I had a similar problem with my 2021 Rocket 3 GT Triple Black. I had parked at a hotel and when I cam out in the morning I went through the usual routine of turning the smart key fob on and then pressing the start button. The electronic steering lock released, the front day running light and tail light came on, but nothing else. The TFT display did not light up, the fuel pump didn't start and none of the other switches on the handlebars would work, (I thought the hazard warning lights would be able to work under any circumstances but no.). I checked the battery terminals and called out the breakdown service, (RAC in the UK is partnered with Triumph). The guy checked all the fuses and then looked up his database. He told me they had a technical note from Triumph saying the right hand switch cluster containing the starter switch had been reported as causing issues. However, he wasn't able to do anything to help me due to warranty issues. I then had to wait on a recovery truck to take me and the bike 350 miles back home. (I will come back to this point at the end as there is a lesson to be learned for UK readers regarding recovery services).
I called Triumph and my bike was picked up today and returned to the dealer for investigation.
Another point to make. I have the Triumph Track + tracker installed. This began to send me the wrong location of the bike approximately 2 weeks ago. I contacted Scorpion/Datatool, the manufacturer, and they are going to repair/replace it. They assured me it would not interfere with the operation of the bike. Five days ago I began to get spurious warnings and text messages from the tracker, one telling me the bike was being tampered with and it was in a city 500 miles away.
Back to the breakdown, I called Triumph Aftersales once my bike and I were in the recovery vehicle and on the move. They also assured me that the failure of the bike to boot up has nothing to do with a faulty tracker.
I have had opinions from Triumph which suggest the immobiliser has failed. I have also been told by Datatool that the Triumph Tracker + will be replaced. Yet neither of the two companies think these failures can be linked?
So for now I will have to wait until the dealer has carried out further investigation. I will keep you informed.
For the UK readers. The lesson learned regarding vehicle recovery companies is choose very carefully. I only used the RAC because I had been given one years free membership by Triumph. (I do have other recovery cover through my insurance company). It took the RAC 40 hours to get the bike and myself 350 miles back home. This included one night in a hotel. The relay method and procedures they use do not permit a direct recovery home from a breakdown unless you are in a radius of approximately 30 miles. It isn't good.
I know the above is a bit long and I apologise. I do hope there are or will be some learnings from it.

Did this ever get sorted?
Got my Rocket back from the dealers yesterday on the 13th July. They did replace the TFT display and that fixed the problem with the bike not starting. I only drove it home, about 40 miles, and so far no further problems. I did ask the dealer for a more detailed explanation but he said there isn't one. Quite simply the TFT display failed completely and that results in the the bike failing as well. I asked if it was a common problem and the answer I got was, this is the first time they, (the dealer), have seen such a complete failure with the TFT display resulting in not being able to start the bike. So to conclude they said it was just one of those things.
I am not overly satisfied with the explanation but it is obvious I am not going to get anything more.
Regarding the failure of the tracker, that is due to be replaced on the 25th of July and, since it is just a plug in module, I suspect I won't get any detailed explanation for that either.

I thought I would write this last part to close out the issue I had with my Rocket TFT Display . I have split it into three parts as there were three separate companies involved in the issues I have had.
RAC - Breakdown Recovery
After a discussion with Triumph Aftersales the RAC called me and discussed the issues of the lengthy recovery. They said they will pass on my comments to the necessary department. They also sent me a cheque as a goodwill gesture.
I explained that the cheque will not solve the issues and only policy and procedural changes can remedy the inadequate system. In my opinion their approach smacked of letting me vent my spleen and offering me money, hoping that would make things ok.

Datatool - Company who produce the Tracker
They sent a contractor company to the local Triumph dealer, where my Rocket was awaiting repair. Nothing could be done as the bike could not be started. Installation of new tracker abandoned.
When the TFT was replaced by the local Triumph dealer and returned to me I contacted Datatool. They sent a contractor to my home to fit the replacement tracker. Unfortunately after 6 hours and dismantling the tailpiece, front fairing and seat compartment he couldn't find it. Installation of new tracker abandoned again and this time handed back to Triumph.

Triumph
As mentioned initially I contacted the local dealer and asked about getting my bike transported the 35 miles from my home to them. They said, as per warranty this responsibility is mine and not covered. They offered to transport the bike for a fee. I called Aftersales and submitted a log of the problems I had experienced due to the breakdown and discussed the transportation issue. Triumph Aftersales arranged and covered the cost of the transport of the bike to the local dealer.
After the TFT was replaced I did ask further questions regarding TFT failures and component fault finding. The answer I received was that if there is a significant number of failures, or a trend, with particular equipment then they will do further investigation and follow up with the manufacturers of that equipment. Not a great answer but I suspect the best I am going to get.
I contacted Aftersales regarding the tracker replacement issues and they arranged for the local Triumph Dealer to replace the tracker when my bike was in for its 10000 mile service.
As a result of what I have read on this forum regarding TFT failures I did purchase an Extended Warranty. After I had purchased it I was offered a free Extended Warranty from Triumph Aftersales as a goodwill gesture. I explained I had already purchased one so they then offered a similar gesture for accessories, clothes or towards my service costs. In the end there was some clothing I wanted for the coming Autumn season and they duly supplied this.
After the TFT was replaced and prior to my 10000 mile service I travelled over 2330 miles from Scotland to France. I haven't had any problems. The only issue is that I never saw a drop of rain in all that time either. So, at the moment everything is working well but I have yet to ride in wet weather again with the new TFT display. I am hoping everything will be fine but I am comforted by the fact I have the warranty.

What I will add regarding all of the above. I did not moan, gripe or air theories on the cause of failure of the TFT display or Tracker as I am no expert on this equipment. I did give my opinions to the RAC on their procedural and policy shortcomings.
Generally I let the separate companies come to their own conclusions on how best to address the issues that occurred. This resulted in easy communications and I think the willingness of those companies to say sorry in their own way.

Only my opinion but if the scoring was out of ten I would give:
RAC - 3/10 as their policies and procedures will always cause them to give a below standard service. I don't believe what happened with me will be any different in the future. They did get me home though.
DataTool - 5/10 They need to have closer ties with the motorcycle manufacturers they partner with. At least to the point they know where on the bike their tracker is installed. They did try to respond correctly but a lack of knowledge and information let them down.
Triumph - 8/10 as they did do what they could within their scope. They should change the warranty so that it is not the owners responsibility or cost to transport a failed motorcycle to the local dealers for repair, if that motorcycle is within warranty. Also, they should have better coordination with partners such as the RAC and DataTool so that necessary information is available to all when and where required. The Aftersales people I spoke with were polite, knowledgeable and considerate.

So there you go. The above is only my opinion on how my problems have been addressed.

Got my Rocket back from the dealers yesterday on the 13th July. They did replace the TFT display and that fixed the problem with the bike not starting. I only drove it home, about 40 miles, and so far no further problems. I did ask the dealer for a more detailed explanation but he said there isn't one. Quite simply the TFT display failed completely and that results in the the bike failing as well. I asked if it was a common problem and the answer I got was, this is the first time they, (the dealer), have seen such a complete failure with the TFT display resulting in not being able to start the bike. So to conclude they said it was just one of those things.
I am not overly satisfied with the explanation but it is obvious I am not going to get anything more.
Regarding the failure of the tracker, that is due to be replaced on the 25th of July and, since it is just a plug in module, I suspect I won't get any detailed explanation for that either.
Yes...We've never seen this before. I heard that 3 times needing my Boss Hoss transmission replaced for the third time. Once I got familiar with the forum guys, the problem with the trans was SOOO common!
"Never before" is such BS!

Back