Quick Valve Shim Replacement

Gregger

Living Legend
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
Fellows,

Don't think this has been posted yet but for those of you that haven't seen it, one of the fellows on the other forum posted an ingenious way to replace valve shims without pulling the cams. He ground down a screwdriver allowing a way to depress the valve and slide the shim out, using some modified forceps. He stated that it was a two man job but saves a pile of time.

Anybody try this yet?

Cool eh!

just be very careful that you don't slip and nick anything... ya wonder that there's not a specialty tool the screws into the cover bolts and has a lever to do this...

having to pull cams to do bucket top shims is pretty brutal... hadn't seen a pic before, i thought that the reason you had to pull the cams was because the shim was under the bucket... my cb900c had the same bucket top shims, and i just can't remember what the heck we did to get the shim out - but we definitely didn't pull the cams...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pix!
Explains all I need to know to do it myself when it's needed.
Thanks also to Phil R for the tip about logging onto the Dot com site in order to see the pix.

Here ya go . . .
Simply a notched screw stick to push down the lifter cup (compressing the valve spring) allowing the shim to be removed with a tweezer.

Attachments

• 1_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    1_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 2_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    2_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 3_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    3_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 376
  • 4_Shim Removal Tool.jpg
    4_Shim Removal Tool.jpg