Battery replacement

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I need to replace my battery on my 2014 Roadster. If i remove the old battery and get delayed in fitting the new one for any length of time will the bike loose any settings or instruments?
I know this sounds like a stupid question but i read about many problems with the electronics on these bikes.
Thanks for any advice.

I need to replace my battery on my 2014 Roadster. If i remove the old battery and get delayed in fitting the new one for any length of time will the bike loose any settings or instruments?
I know this sounds like a stupid question but i read about many problems with the electronics on these bikes.
Thanks for any advice.
Happened to mine, had engine out, warming it up and battery out and disconnected for several months. When completed and engine back in and everything connected, she had lost mileage on odometer, and never came back. Asked local dealer about this and he said never heard of this happening before.

Happened to mine, had engine out, warming it up and battery out and disconnected for several months. When completed and engine back in and everything connected, she had lost mileage on odometer, and never came back. Asked local dealer about this and he said never heard of this happening before.
Thanks, a bit worrying i think.

Did it start recording mileage again from zero or just failed to record anything?

Typically removing or disconnecting a battery from a vehicle will reset any codes and any learned engine trim values (which will be relearned after a few miles driving) but I've never heard of the odometer resetting. Did it go to zero??? bonus :)

Question for the electrisical wizzards:
Could a battery tender be attached to the battery leads after the battery is removed to maintain voltage while battery is out for extended periods?

Typically removing or disconnecting a battery from a vehicle will reset any codes and any learned engine trim values (which will be relearned after a few miles driving) but I've never heard of the odometer resetting. Did it go to zero??? bonus :)

On my 07
Only the trip mileage when I discovered batt then it would start again at o miles. What i found was i use mileage to know when to fill up and resetting can cause u to run out of gas.
Now i have the other problem with the blank speedo mileage.

Did it start recording mileage again from zero or just failed to record anything?
Lost about 8,000 miles, started recording with first ride but never returned to original mileage. I now leave battery connected to the bike and on a tender, haven't encountered any problems when doing it this way. If down for repairs, for extended time, I run a jumper wire to starter wires and tie positive leads together. I now write mileage down just as a precaution.

Last edited:
Interesting... I too have never heard of the odometer zeroing out. As mentioned you will lose any codes and the ECU will/should default to original values (not referring to a loaded ECU tune), but this is resolved with the 12-min tune (start without touching throttle, let idle 12+ minutes, RIDE!)
-MIG

Lost about 8,000 miles, started recording with first ride but never returned to original mileage. I now leave battery connected to the bike and on a tender, haven't encountered any problems when doing it this way. If down for repairs, for extended time, I run a jumper wire to starter wires and tie positive leads together. I now write mileage down just as a precaution.
Thanks for the information

Back