rickb

.020 Over
Ok guys, I have a few questions. I seem to hit the rev limiter a lot in 1st. I'm not sure if it is because it gets there so quickly or what.(it takes off like a bat out of h- - - ). What can you do to change that other than learning to shift into 2nd quicker. 2nd - Sunday I had it out and did a gradual roll on from about 80 in 5th, and when I hit about 120 it seemed like it was about all it had - it should have a lot more than that shouldn't it? I am getting a lot of decel popping, do you think a tune boy or pcIII would help both of these situations? If I downshift to 4th at 80 it takes off like a rocket, and I don't hink I have ever hit the limiter in 4th. What should be the approximate top end in 3rd and 4th? I have the Tor exhaust and the triumph cat upgrade, and that is the only mechanical upgrades. I am thinking about putting in the K&N under the seat air filter, but would it be better to put in the under the tank k&n instead? Please let me know what your suggestions would be on improving performance.

The tune in your classic is limited to 120 mph. The standard tunes are 135 mph. You are experiencing the fuel cut-off. You can raise the fuel cut-off with tuneboy, however I would be very cautious. Just start launching in 2nd gear or get quicker on the shift. Tuneboy or PCIII will help decel popping.

The rev limiter is set to 6300 on the standard and classic models but the speed limit is 135 on the standard and 120 on the classic. Bags and a windshield can limit your top speed too. You can reset the rev and speed limiters with Tuneboy (not with the PCIII). You can also get rid of the decel popping with Tuneboy. Unless you're going to put triple K&N's under the bear claw, the K&N under the seat will do. However, if you have a stock seat, take out the snorkel/plenum plastic piece of crap that's riveted under the seat.

Well, I'm not satisfied being limited to 120, so if I get the tune boy what tune should I use on the 07 classic tourer with tor, triumph cat upgrade and under the seat k&n to get maximum performance? I want to correct the speedo, eliminate or cut back the decel popping, get more out of 1st and 2nd and more top end. And who has the best pricing on the tune boy?

Well, I'm not satisfied being limited to 120, so if I get the tune boy what tune should I use on the 07 classic tourer with tor, triumph cat upgrade and under the seat k&n to get maximum performance? I want to correct the speedo, eliminate or cut back the decel popping, get more out of 1st and 2nd and more top end. And who has the best pricing on the tune boy?

You load 20050_2 from the Tuneboy site and then copy the L tables from my version of 20050_2 or Pig9r's version of 20050_3 into your tune. It's easy.This eliminates the decel popping but it comes back as the ECU "adapts". Pig9r found a solution to this by installing the O2 sensor bypass for the PCIII. This costs about $20. It keeps the ECU from using the Rocket's O2 sensor and going into closed loop at zero and low throttle positions, I find that this works. Tuneboy now has an option in the program to turn off the O2 sensor. I haven't seen any feedback on how this works. You could always try it and get the PCIII O2 sensor bypass later if it doesn't work.

I ordered Tuneboy directly from the Tuneboy site. I like dealing directly with Wayne. He's very helpful.

Thanks Doug. Any other good ideas on improving performance would be greatly appreciated.

How much work do you want to do and how much money do you want to spend? Are you a serious racer? You could put triple K&N's on but then you would need both Tuneboy and a PCIII to tune in. You could replace your TORs/cat bypass with Jardines or a custom exhaust system. You could port and polish the heads, coat the cyclinders, put in hot cams, high compression pistons, replace the connecting rods, valves, bearings, gaskets, and clutch, and of course be prepared for regular repairs when it breaks.

Since you got the classic, I suspect you'll be happy with Tuneboy (20050_2).

I am running Tuneboy with the smoothdecel tune found on this site and raised the top speed in the program to beyond the limit this bike can run due to gearing (2006 Classic). The speedo is corrected and its at full powerin all gears. Mods include only D&D exhaust for performance and the tune. The bike will bury the speedo and run 150mph. Note the rev limit is not changed only the max speed is opened up.
Should see the look on my buddies RR's when they run up to 150 and look in the mirrors and find bugeyes dead on their six :D

I have looked on line and found the tune boy for $409.99 + $12.62 s/h from brittish customs. Has anyone purchased from them? I assume it doesn't make any difference if you buy from tune boy direct, or brittish customs or xman, you will still get the same product - correct? The price from tune boy is $529 + $16.50 s/h. so if it is the same product, same support, etc. for $120 difference then it would make sense to buy from brittish customs - right? I don't want to make a mistake with this, so any advise is appreciated. Dougl you said to use the 20050_2 tune, and that will work with the 07 classic tourer correct? Dobieman - you said you raised the top speed in the program - how do you do that? I don't want to sound dumb, but my only experience with a tuner was on an 02 mustang gt - which was pretty simple - plug it in go thru a bunch of different screens and change what you wanted to change and save the changes and that was pretty much it. I think once I go with tuneboy and raise the top end speed ( I would love 150, but 135 - 140 would be ok) and lessen the decel popping I will be very happy with what I have.

Back