Question: OR Pipes and Inspection

triumphraptor

.020 Over
Hi all...

This may be a dumb question from an Englishman still learning the rules in the US but...

If I put TORs or Jardines on the Rocket...what happens at annual inspection time in, say, Massachusetts. Do I have to take them off, put the stocks on, then put the ORs back on again?

Appreciate your answers!

Cheers! Dave.

That's a good question that only someone who knows Massachusettes inspections can answer. I do Missouri Vehicle inspections but I'm sure the law varies. We look to see if the mufflers on a motorcycle have a baffle, first just visually, and if none can be seen because of the way the muffler is constructed a bar is inserted to check that there is one there. There is a certain amount of leeway in this as you might guess.

Mass. may require a decible reading? Missouri just doesn't want very loud straight pipes. I would call a couple of different motorcycle shops in your area that do inspections and see what they say.

triumphraptor said:
Hi all...

This may be a dumb question from an Englishman still learning the rules in the US but...

If I put TORs or Jardines on the Rocket...what happens at annual inspection time in, say, Massachusetts. Do I have to take them off, put the stocks on, then put the ORs back on again?

Appreciate your answers!

Cheers! Dave.

Jardines are louder. Changing them out won't be easy.

hello from western mass. If it does not have a factory label most wont inspect your ride.they will point you to your nearest state registry for a reject.:mad:

I was reading in the AMA rag about some eastern states as well as metro Denver requiring the exhaust system be stamped with the compliance number and I think date of manufacture. Without that, the bike is non-compliance and won't pass the emissions test even if it will. It has to have the stamped in the metal certification.

I was under the impression that GB was the same, that is, not stamped certification, no tax stamp.

You can search past issues at www.ama-cycle.org as well as legislative issues affecting your right to ride.

Back