Purchasing a used 2020 Rocket 3 GT - what to look out for?

Ok, guys, need more advise. I test drover the GT, WOW, what an engine. Handle bar position is good, but not sure with forward control it will be comfortable. It was tough holding on to the handle bar above 75 mph, is the R better since leaning in a bit? Definelty there is a lot of engine heat, but I assume something can be done about that. Now I am not sure if I should go with the R. Thoughts from those who have experience on both bikes. Thanks.

Ok, guys, need more advise. I test drover the GT, WOW, what an engine. Handle bar position is good, but not sure with forward control it will be comfortable. It was tough holding on to the handle bar above 75 mph, is the R better since leaning in a bit? Definelty there is a lot of engine heat, but I assume something can be done about that. Now I am not sure if I should go with the R. Thoughts from those who have experience on both bikes. Thanks.
Try it with controls all the way back.

Have any of you modified the GT with mid-controls, did it make it more comfortable and is it something one can do by themselves (novest mechanic)?

The GT controls are adjustable. They can be moved about an inch forward or an inch back from their typical, dealer-installed mid position. These adjustments are easy to make on your own. I was originally going to install the R's mid controls on my GT but moved my forward controls all the way back and found they worked quite well. With that said, installing the R's mid controls onto a GT isn't real complicated but requires brake bleeding. That's likely the most complicated/difficult aspect of it.

I'm 5'9" and bought the GT, moved the controls back to mid position, used the leftover bits to install highway pegs, added the Rox risers, a tasteful windshield and voila, comfort like a lounge chair on the road and feels like a dirt bike when I want to play. Not everyone's taste, but I am missing the truck nut gene, am older, and comfort trumps looks.

Perhaps you should ask them to refresh the software? Perhaps someone was in there installing early maps or maybe there have been updates to reduce nuisance errors and the like? And get them to change the battery in the key fob:)

I think you will definitely find the mid controls much more comfortable, stable and enjoyable on faster speeds, leaning and pretty much all over. That's why i had previously suggested also trying the R model.
I have only ridden forward control cruisers, so naturally the GT would've been the one for me, wrong, to my surprise the R was way more comfortable and made more sense for a bike of this nature.
Good luck.

I had a pretty accommodating dealership that let me ride both extensively granted the R was a week after I rode the GT. Once I got to put them both through some curves (which is what I prefer to ride) it was a no brainer. The R gives you the ability to throw it into corners better due to the mid controls. For comfort I'll be adding a GT seat and pillion for the misses and the GT sissy bar should be delivered today.

Funny, I am thinking of getting the GT (due to the handle bars as I like to sit back a bit) and then get the mid-controls kit. Having said that, I like the red colour of the R better than the silver/black of the GT. I found both, a new 2021 GT and 2021 R, however the GT is being offerred to me $2000 less than the R (different dealers). Contemplating getting the GT and as I said add the mid-controls and wrap the bike with a different colour. Decisions- decisions.

Funny, I am thinking of getting the GT (due to the handle bars as I like to sit back a bit) and then get the mid-controls kit. Having said that, I like the red colour of the R better than the silver/black of the GT. I found both, a new 2021 GT and 2021 R, however the GT is being offerred to me $2000 less than the R (different dealers). Contemplating getting the GT and as I said add the mid-controls and wrap the bike with a different colour. Decisions- decisions.
Doing that probably negates the $2000 savings. You could always do the R (the color you like and the mids) and just throw GT bars on it. More cost effective then doing the mids on a GT

Back