Progressive fork spring install general question

Kojack1970

Turbocharged
Ride
2016 Rocket Roadster and 2000 HD Fatboy
For the fork spring replacement going to progressives, is is necessary to fully remove the forks from yokes or can the spring swap be done with the fork tubes still in the yokes? I know many other bikes can be done with the tubes still in the yokes, but it looks to me like that approach on the Rocket is a no bueno. Am I correct?

Touring I did in the yoke, but no idea if applicable to a Roadster.

I pulled mine. Cleaned everything up and flushed out the tubes prior to installing progressive springs. Replaced fluid with this stuff IMG_0461.JPG Good time to check neck bearings anyhow.

For Roadster, you'll want to pull them, USD forks. While it could be done on the bike, it'll be a lot easier off the bike so you can use gravity to assist while setting fluid levels etc.

For the fork spring replacement going to progressives, is is necessary to fully remove the forks from yokes or can the spring swap be done with the fork tubes still in the yokes? I know many other bikes can be done with the tubes still in the yokes, but it looks to me like that approach on the Rocket is a no bueno. Am I correct?

I do mine off the bike. You need to turn them over and pump out the fluid and working on them is just easier off the bike.

Back