Power Commander?

Alister

.060 Over
I just learned I can obtain a DynoJet Power Commander III (the new one is supposedly upgraded to work on the '06-'07 models) for the R3 through AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange Service... think Wal-Mart for military folks). Has anyone used this box before and can, perhaps, comment on its performance and tunability? Seems to be about the same price as the TuneBoy (the PC II runs $339 before the 15% military discount), so I'm considering using it to tune after the TOR pipes go on.

Last edited:
You're gonna have a difficult if not impossible time finding somebody to custom map with Tuneboy. PC tuners are a dime a dozen. Even though Tuneboy offers more options, PC will do the job. Custom mapping your bike will make a noticable difference.

And yes, that's a great price on a PC.

Only thing you mentioned that I am clueless about is the upgrade thing? Maybe somebody can shed some light on that one...

You are likely to find far far more enthusiasm with TuneBoy rather than the PCIII. Enthusiasm from the enthusiasts herein (on the forum) and, I'd venture to say, from the real output from the TuneBoy rather than the PCIII. And from what I've seen (hear-tell) herein and the renegades over there, there are many folks with just the right tune for your particular mod/set-up. The TuneBoy website: http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Compare/Compare.html
should be of considerable help. You said it yourself. The price is MOL the same - that startling 15%; don't forget the tax advantage as well. Since your taking the plunge you should go for the deep end. You're don't want to come up short :D You could be banging your head for years.

Last edited:
There might be a little confusion with the "upgrade"... The PCIII has been available for the Rocket since 2005? and you can use it on any Rocket III. I don't believe that anyone ever used the PC II at all. I guess it doesn't really matter just as long as you get a PC III labeled for use on a Rocket III, you will be OK.

I'm not being rude here, but do a search on PC III and TuneBoy, there are already a ton of posts and info that would be impossible to copy to this thread, and it will give you a better idea of what they are about. You can keep adding to this thread... fer sure :D

I have a PC III on my 2005 and have used it for over 2 years, its much easier to work with than the TuneBoy (I am a retard and have that also). For the bucks spent its a pretty good performance upgrade (The PC III).

I just learned I can obtain a DynoJet Power Commander III (the new one is supposedly upgraded to work on the '06-'07 models) for the R3 through AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange Service... think Wal-Mart for military folks). Has anyone used this box before and can, perhaps, comment on its performance and tunability? Seems to be about the same price as the TuneBoy (the PC II runs $339 before the 15% military discount), so I'm considering using it to tune after the TOR pipes go on.

Make sure you get the upgraded O2 sensor bypass (check with DJ for the part number). Are you removing the cat box too? If so, they should install the 20149 map. If you have the Classic, the map is 20142. Try these before you spend the money. Even if you put in a PCIII, the base Triumph maps will close the secondary throttle plates to some degree. This limits power by limiting the amount of air moving through the throttle bodies and the PCIII can't make up for this. To get around this, you can remove the secondary throttle plates. But you must use a base (stock) Triumph map that tells the ECU to close the secondaries (even though they're not there) by the same percentage in all gears for a given RPM, for example, 3000,4000, 5000. 20149 and 20142 do this. If you don't do this, the ECU will be sending different voltages to the PCIII for different gears. The problem is that the PCIII is tuned in only one gear as a function of throttle position versus RPM.

You need Tuneboy to see the secondary table for a particular tune to know this. You can actually download the Tuneboy program and all of the stock Triumph tunes and see what's in them, although you can't download them into your bike without buying the cable ($400). I don't think the Triumph dealers have any way of seeing the actual tables in the stock maps.

Last edited:
I did exactly what you're considering with the PC-III and couldn't be happier. I installed the TORs/cat by-pass and needed to get the correct fuel mapping, but my dealer is 90 miles away and couldn't fit me in as soon as I needed, so I ordered a PC-III. The PC-III for the Rocket III should come with the required O2 sensor by-pass. You will need to make sure you are running the stock fuel map (i.e. for quiet mufflers and catalytic converter) I have an '04 Rocket running the 20050 tune. I'm not sure of the base fuel map numbers for later years or the Classic.

It is SIMPLE to install and I simply downloaded the tune for my exhaust setup off of the Dynojet web site and installed it on the PC-III. Then hooked it all up and that was that.
I have not had mine dyno tuned, but I have NO backfiring on decel and the acceleration is
simply awesome, with no detectable flat spots! As if we needed more. If you do want to get your's dyno tuned, there are MANY more shops who can/will work with the PC-III than there are who will work with a TuneBoy. As stated, TuneBoy does offer much more versatility, but for a simple "plug-and-play" option, the PC-III is the way to go..

After installing a set of Jardine...(cat-less) and triple K&Ns, I purchased the Tuneboy.

I installed the Jardine with TripleUnis that Tuneboy published. I did a few tweaks on my own by still wasn't satisfied so I set out to find a tuner to help me get my tune right.

I live in NC and I contacted tuner as far as Maryland and as far south as Florida. The only tuner that would even touch Tuneboy was an instructor for Wyotech in Daytona and was willing to "learn" the software and tune my R3 as part of his class.... I don't think so.....

There was a very well-respected PC3 tuner in Raleigh so I went to talk to him. He has tried to tune some of the Speed Triples in Raleigh. He shared some insight on the applications, and as a result I decided to keep the TuneBoy tune that I have installed because of the "other benefits" such as speedo correction and secondary throttles.

I bought a PC3 to use in addition to the Tuneboy as several others on the forum have either done, or were entertaining the notion.

I'm going to drop it off next week when the PC3 comes in because he had to order it.

I'll let you know the results when I get it back.

P.S. The tuner is a moto-drag bike racer. He made the comment that the R3 is the only bike that he's every ridden that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. He stated that his drag bike only has @120 lb-ft of torque. :D

Back