Possible tps issue?

Stevepaff

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3 classic
Hi guys.
I'm pretty sure this is gonna be the tps but thought I'd run it by some more knowledgeable people.

A few weeks ago the bike stopped holding an idle very well. Everything seemed fine on tune Ecu apart from one throttlebody is a little lower than the other 2.
I have previously changed the map to a map that was written for the cat bypass pipe and the secondaries to 100%. I doubt that was it as its been running well on that map for over a year.
I reset the adaptive anyway and ran the 12 minute thing just for something easy to try. It seemed to work, at least until a few days ago.
I was coming to a stop and briefly for a few seconds the bike started to drop idle again, not enough to cut out and literally for a few seconds then sorted itself out.

Anyway yesterday while holding a steady throttle it started to have a couple little surges and pops. Gave the bike a little blast and it seemed to sort itself out. But today on the way to work it felt like the bike was pushing me even tho I was off the throttle, came to a stop and the idle was up at 2k. Then settled down and seemed to run fine but still felt like there were small surges going on. It did that a couple times but was fine when I rocked up at work.

Does this sound like a failing tps or something else.
Sorry for the long post but I figured if I wrote everything it would be easier for someone to give opinions or advice.

Cheers.

You should check the low tension wires to each coil, I had a similar problem, the connectors were real loose, tighten them and the problem was fixed.

Also check the vacuum hoses.

Set the TPS as per the manual although 0.62 and 0.74 may work better. If the problem goes away then the TPS was set wrong. If the problem returns then check the TPS againand if it is noticeably different then you probably have to replace the TPS. btw, if you tighten it too hard then may break it.

Thanks guys, very helpful bunch of people here. Couple things to look at then.
Hope it's loose cables as this bike is racking up a hefty bill at the moment.
Both tyres. All the brake pads and I still haven't got around to fixing my speedometer, just running a GPS one for a while now.

It's the ISCV, guaranteed. The below symptom is only associated with ISCV faults. Hook up android TuneECU, look in the devices section of the software and uncheck ISCV, then screw in the idle set screw until the bike warm idles at 980RPM +/- 20 RPM. Life will be much better after doing this.

Hi guys.
I'm pretty sure this is gonna be the tps but thought I'd run it by some more knowledgeable people.

But today on the way to work it felt like the bike was pushing me even tho I was off the throttle, came to a stop and the idle was up at 2k.

Cheers.

I had the same problem, checked all kinds of things, and replacing the ISCV did it. To be fair, some folks recommend simply disconnecting the linkage to the ISCV, it can still be its contrary self, and the rider just has to pretend the bike has a carburettor that needs fussing when cold.

It's the ISCV, guaranteed. The below symptom is only associated with ISCV faults. Hook up android TuneECU, look in the devices section of the software and uncheck ISCV, then screw in the idle set screw until the bike warm idles at 980RPM +/- 20 RPM. Life will be much better after doing this.

Rob; this sounds like my problem. Why did min bike require a different fix (disconnecting the idle stepper motor)?

Your tune didn't have the ISCV disable option in TuneECU. It's why I need to look more carefully at which tune you had loaded and if I can transpose it into a tune that has the option enabled. Then you can reconnect the ISCV to protect the contacts in it and just flash the tune and it'll be disabled via software.

Disconnecting the ISCV is the poor man's way of doing the same thing. If you have more money, and inclination, you could have a phone, pay for TuneECU plus the LonElec cable. Yet a different approach is to replace the stepper motor -- which I elected to do -- just makes me feel better thinking most of the bike is working the way it should.

Back