Poor soul on the side of the road.

I have carried water with me for the last 15 years of commuting from Henryetta to Tulsa during the summer months. There are stretches on Hwy 75 were there is nothing at all but open fields and scrub oak. Our summers can be brutal and heat related problems can happen quickly. It is one thing to be riding down the highway at 75 to 80 MPH, It is a whole different ball game sitting on the side of the road with a screwed up bike. Never had a bad incident Just a lot of thank yous.

Nice story. I was so disappointed the last flat I had, on a weekend. Made a couple calls for help, then sat on the side of the highway watching motorcycle, after motorcycle, drive by, and not even wave. 3 different people in P/U trucks stopped and offered help. One even gave me a cold beer! I almost always turn around and go back to a bike on the side of the road to see if they need help, traffic providing. I do believe in Karma too.:)

Though I just had to move from the west coast to Shreveport, checking on a stopped motorcycle on the side of the road is/was the norm, especially if you were on the freeway or just out of town, unless you are are 3 lanes over in bumper-to-bumper traffic... and that time I took the next exit and came back around to see what help may be needed. Once my bride and I were riding through the Valley of Fire state park and every bike that passed stopped to check on us (though we stopped to take photos and grab a drink).... it did make it hard to to water the nearby tree... ;-) It will be interesting to see how the Louisiana area goes...

-MIG

Though I just had to move from the west coast to Shreveport, checking on a stopped motorcycle on the side of the road is/was the norm, especially if you were on the freeway or just out of town, unless you are are 3 lanes over in bumper-to-bumper traffic... and that time I took the next exit and came back around to see what help may be needed. Once my bride and I were riding through the Valley of Fire state park and every bike that passed stopped to check on us (though we stopped to take photos and grab a drink).... it did make it hard to to water the nearby tree... ;-) It will be interesting to see how the Louisiana area goes...

-MIG
Generally there will be some who stop. Usually people who've been riding a while. The one's that just roar on by, are usually new to riding. And welcome to Louisiana.

Generally there will be some who stop. Usually people who've been riding a while. The one's that just roar on by, are usually new to riding. And welcome to Louisiana.
True... and Thanks! :)
-MIG

Heading into work this afternoon saw a gold-wing on the side of the road. stopped and ask if he needed some help. His radiator went south and was waiting for a friend with a trailer to show up. 95 degrees out and no shade in sight. I carry two bottles of water with me during the summer months just for such occasions. When I pulled the water bottles out of my bag he looked surprised. Leather bag strapped to luggage rack nothing fancy. Offered him the water and needless to say he was grateful. He told me that numerous bikes had passed by but I was the first to stop and offer help. Then he made a comment about all his storage space as compared to mine and the fact that he had never thought about carry a few bottles of water for an emergency. I explained to him that I ride Hwy 75 just about everyday and have helped out a lot of stranded motorcyclist. He tried to pay me for the water but I refused. After today kind of got the feeling that he may pack some water with him especially if riding through rural Oklahoma. It can get very hot very quickly especially being stuck on the side of the road.

Not often you see a dead Goldwing lying by the side of the road Harleys yep but Goldwings nope, but then again the 1200s back in the late 80s did have a real bad Stator problem. Stranded me on mine in Modesto back in 91. Bugger...

Goldwings are nice bikes. Have stopped for more Harley's than anything else but that is by far the most popular bike here in Oklahoma.;););););););)

Back