How do you shut down your Rocket?

• Turn key to off

Votes: 58 61.1%
  • Engine kill switch

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Kickstand down while in gear

Votes: 19 20.0%

• Total voters
For 70000miles I have used the side stand in fact I use the side stand on all my bikes, plus if you use the side stand you are not one of them idiots who gets off the bike then the bike falls over:)
For me it would be - not one of these idiots that does it twice:rolleyes:

And old mate that i used to ride with would turn my ign switch off when i was not looking when stopped for lunch or drink. Cunny funt - i would be beside myself wandering why the bike has no power. Thats about the only time that HD rider had a laugh at me though.

Have always used key on all my bikes. Don't understand need for kill switch, in almost 50 years of riding never had an occasion to kill engine while riding - did use kill switch prior to picking up dropped dirt bike, but never on street.
Years ago we used to harrass pedestrians by killing the engine (on approach), then reactivating at that precise moment. Love a good backfire. BTW - wont be trying this on the R3

I would still use the same routine with a Harley, kickstand down first then turn key. The kill switch would not be touched.
Harley says:

Stopping the Engine
Top of page

1. Stop the engine by turning the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to OFF.

2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF. If the engine should be stalled or stopped in any way, turn the ignition switch to OFF at once to prevent battery discharge.

... with your teeth, mucho machisimo!
Key. Like someone else already stated, sometimes I have accidently turned the kill switch off and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the bike later. I try to stay away from the kill switch if I can.

Key. Like someone else already stated, sometimes I have accidently turned the kill switch off and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the bike later. I try to stay away from the kill switch if I can.
If using the kill switch was part of your routine you would not have been befuddled as to why you couldn't start ;)
If you need to use your kill switch one day you might hit the horn or vis-a-versa, as some here have mentioned.
If you do a professional motorcycle riding course you will be expected to reach all of your controls without looking (eyes closed etc)

Having a distinct routine that engages all the mentioned items diminishes the possibilities for problems:

side stand up and fall over :oops:
kill switch off and cannot start :thumbsdown:
key on, lights left on :banghead:
petcock left on / reserve, flooding or running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere :mad:

I am only making these points in the interest of new riders and returning riders that might come across this thread. The old dogs that already have their tricks/routines don't need this info.
There might be a technical argument about leaving juice in the coils blah blah but I think this is a bit picky on modern motorcycles. I think it is mentioned by Triumph (to use the key) because people forget and leave the key "on", which is probably bad for a number of reasons, not the least of which is not being able to start due to drained battery. Is this any worse than forgetting to put the side stand down and getting your left leg crushed? They probably need a warning/nag light that flashes/beeps when the engine is stopped and stand is up (?)

If we were burning out coils and generally having a problem using the kill switch for these reasons we would have heard about it ad nauseum as surely as the EB kit and ignition switch stuff.

I have never said using the key is bad, I am only going on about using a routine that includes the kill switch to minimize problems. I actually do the key thing last, when I am off the bike, engine killed, side stand down, wheel turned to lock position - then key to lock position and into pocket (I hate looking for the key or leaving it in the ignition).

If any of you blokes fly planes, scuba dive or use guns you will appreciate the value of a proper routine when simple errors or forgetfulness can have very bad consequences.

MY old bsa had 13 to 0ne a square cam and a magneto when the throttle cable stuck open and you hit the kill button it would keep gaining speed and the only thing you could do was reach down and jerk the wire off the plug then you could hit the kill button and it would kill the engine.
writing this made me realize that i was a jerk off when i was young:eek:
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Back