How do you shut down your Rocket?

• Turn key to off

Votes: 58 61.1%
  • Engine kill switch

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Kickstand down while in gear

Votes: 19 20.0%

• Total voters
Back in 2005 before i joined R3Owners i used the kill switch for about two years fortunately with no bad side effects. Today i put it in nuetral and turn the key..:thumbsup:

Curious to see how y'all do it.

I looked at the wiring diagram. The engine kill switch is in series with the ignition switch so regardless which of these devices you use, the result should be the same. I expect the claim that it will "farq the ECM" is unfounded.
The kick stand is a direct input to the ECM.

Unless there is a condition that makes it difficult to get to the ignition switch such as parking on steep grade, I always go for the ignition with the kickstand as the backup.
Kill switch is for emergencies although with a tip switch on the bike, not sure what emergency would warrant the kill switch.

The Kill Switch and the Key shut the bike down at EXACTLY THE SAME node.
They are directly in series with each other.
The suggestion that shutting off with the Kill can cause damage to ECU is simply nonsense.

There is a CAUTION (and it is simply that - not a 'Warning' nor a direct prohibition) against using the Kill in the owner's manual simply because it is easy to forget that you must still turn off the Key to additionally turn off the lighting & ancillary circuits.

This is cut straight out of the owners manual... I to have learnt something from this thread as i have always used the kill switch then stand then key.... This forum is great for learning from the small things like this through to engine removal etc. I'm glad to be a part of it.....

Caution

The engine should normally be stopped by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. The engine stop switch is for emergency use only. Do not leave the ignition switched on with the engine stopped. Electrical damage may result.

It is a caution against leaving the key switched on - that & only that! The implied potential 'electrical damage' would be as result of killing the battery.
i.e. the Key has three parallel circuits - ignition, Lighting and Ancillaries (Brake/Turns/Horn)
The Kill obviously only goes to the ignition system - but is connected directly off the output of the Ignition Pole of the Key-Switch.

On my KeyLess it actually breaks both simultaneously* :D
*(well in truth the Kill output is 0.5 sec ahead of the main power circuit into it because I purposely built in an added time delay for the latch to drop, for additional safety)

Last edited:
...QANTAS...safest...airline in...the.. world..never had... an accident..

I wonder why? :whitstling:

Reminds me of the rumour I heard that about a Qantas 747 that overshot the runway in Bangkok whilst landing in heavy rain back in 1999. Apparently it was more expensive for Qantas to repair the plane and return it to service than to just get it declared a write-off (or whatever they do with damaged planes in the airline business) but they did repair it so Qantas could maintain a clean record.

I turn it off with the key after putting the shifter into neutral.

If I'm on a grade and want to leave the bike in gear; I use the kill switch, release the clutch, then turn the key off.

Was a "key only" guy until the advent of the kickstand switch. I became lazy using that kick stand to shut down.
Since running my battery dead and blowing a fuse, I am now trying to re-program my brain to use the "Kill Switch".
Please Note - I am now running a @DEcosse keyless system w/ PDM60.

Back