How do you shut down your Rocket?

• Turn key to off

Votes: 58 61.1%
  • Engine kill switch

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Kickstand down while in gear

Votes: 19 20.0%

• Total voters
Have always used key on all my bikes. Don't understand need for kill switch, in almost 50 years of riding never had an occasion to kill engine while riding - did use kill switch prior to picking up dropped dirt bike, but never on street.

Shortly after I first picked up my Rocket, someone did something stupid in front of me and I went to blast the bike's very intimidating Miata-like horn but had a brain fart and hit the engine kill switch instead. That sure showed 'em! o_O And that's the story of the only time I've ever used the kill switch on my Rocket.

Almost always the kickstand. I always park it in gear and using the key to kill it would just be unnecessary steps. The Rocket isn't the only bike I've heard about not using the kill switch on. Friend at work got the same advice about his Honda.

key or stand for me. Should never use kill switch unless its an emergency. I did read somewhere why cant remember what it was but i do remember it was def a good reason not to do it. Think it was something like only poofters use the kill switch or something like that.

If a kill switch was a smart way to turn off an engine, they'd put them in cars. I just don't understand why you'd use it. I don't switch my computer off by unplugging it and I don't use the kill switch. Key only, or occasionally the side stand switch if I'm on a slope. It's common sense for a whole range of reasons.

I'm same as you guys on this:thumbsup:

my opinion is that everyone is right they should use the system that they like.
the emergency kill button is for when the throttle sticks open. because when the throttle sticks open in first it goes from 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds so you better know where the kill switch is or for those that are hard core i am sure you could reach the ign switch with the throttle open or you could just pull in the clutch and listen to the engine rev.
it does not make a difference to the comp whether the ign switch or the kill button is used to turn it off they both cut power to comp. the side stand switch cut the signal to the comp and the comp cuts power to the apply side of the engine management relay. you would probably be old and gray before you damaged the comp using the side stand for killing the engine.
every method has its draw backs
kill switch** leaving the ign on and forgetting to put down the stand
side stand**leaving the ign
ign switch**forgetting to put down the stand and a small chance of letting it fall while your reaching for the switch. not being familar with the kill switch if the throttle sticks open.

what was the question? oh i use the kill button and i have left the ign on and it cost me a battery and about an hour shiit. the second time i left it on it took out the ground side of the headlight circuit but that might have been a good thing being the it happen at my shop in stead in the middle of nowhere at night.
also i let it fall over at the gas pump and pined me and broke my shield.
my opinion is do what works for you because you are the one that matters.;)

Shortly after I first picked up my Rocket, someone did something stupid in front of me and I went to blast the bike's very intimidating Miata-like horn but had a brain fart and hit the engine kill switch instead. That sure showed 'em! o_O And that's the story of the only time I've ever used the kill switch on my Rocket.

Probably scared them more than the stock horn would have. :rolleyes:

I pull the spark plug wires one at the time till the motor dies

MY old bsa had 13 to 0ne a square cam and a magneto when the throttle cable stuck open and you hit the kill button it would keep gaining speed and the only thing you could do was reach down and jerk the wire off the plug then you could hit the kill button and it would kill the engine.
writing this made me realize that i was a jerk off when i was young:eek:

Back