"Paint Can Rattle"

RocketDaryl

Top Fuel
Ride
2019 Indian Scout Sixty
Can someone explain what this is? My R3T makes a noise that I would say sounds like someone shaking a spray paint can. It's most noticeable at low speeds and is undetectable once the clutch lever is pulled in. I asked the dealer about this when I took the bike in for the 500 mile service and they said not to worry about it.

The paint can rattle is a timing chain issue but I think what you are hearing is probably the slop in the dampner for the drive shaft. Its a clunking noise that you only hear when you are going very slow and the transmission and dampner kind of clunk back and forth.

Havent heard from you in a while . . . hows Paul? :D

He's fine. I've been traveling a lot back and forth to Dallas on business.

The first time I heard the sound I thought of valve tapping. But, that didn't make sense as it was unaudible with the clutch pulled in. Also, it doesn't do it when the engine is cold. It does it once the engine is warm. I can slowly rev the engine and it'll start (not sure of the RPM range, no tach). But again, it's most noticeable to me at around 25 - 45 mph, probably due to lack of wind noise canceling the sound.

It's made the sound from day one.

I have heard what you are talking about RocketDaryl on my machine but I'm not all that concerned about it. The beast makes all kinds of sounds that don't make particular sense in my mind and as long as it hauls my butt around like I want it to I don't care. If it brakes it gets fixed end of problem.:D

I have heard what you are talking about RocketDaryl on my machine but I'm not all that concerned about it. The beast makes all kinds of sounds that don't make particular sense in my mind and as long as it hauls my butt around like I want it to I don't care. If it brakes it gets fixed end of problem.:D

I guess that's what I'll do.

The common "paint can rattle" that is a result of the cam chain stretching and the cam chain guides failing has a different set of symptoms than those that you described above.

The classic symptoms are: on a completely cold engine, after starting rev up slowly through about 2300 RPM. A distinct rattle will be heard to begin around 1500 RPM. The rattle will go away after the engine warms. If you are sitting on the bike and hear this rattle, it is fairly obvious that the sound is coming from the front part of the engine.

Maybe some of your Paul Stanley "manties" got caught up in the radiator:D Hope you get it sorted out...sounds frustrating.

I only have what I believe is the paint can rattle early in the morning, before the bike warms up. Although, I haven't even had that lately. Who knows, maybe my timing chain is getting ready to sling shot out the side of my motor!.. lol

I rode to work this morning and it was 42 degrees F!!! That's COLD for us South Texas boys!

Questions concerning prevelance of Paint Can Rattle issue

Own a custom chopper and Excelsior Henderson. Considering adding another. Rocket caught my attention. But a little concerned about timing chain issue. Would like to find a low mileage 2005/2006. How common is this problem, don't want to buy a bike with low miles to have this issue after I start eating up some pavement. Did they fix this issue beginning with a certain model year?

Not a fan of non symmetrical bearclaw, but could easily go with modified versions I have seen here.

Back