Old Biker New Rocket

Thanks for referral @Jag - but I am currently in hiatus from making these until I can find an alternative for the RFID module I've been using.
They are still out there but just becoming prohibitively expensive.
It's too bad DEI abandoned that product, nothing in their portfolio comes even close (and nothing from China so far excites me although I've tested a couple of options)

Regarding the tank and seat locks:
I believe (at least from other models) that those accessory locks have fewer matching requirements on the key
i.e. ignition key will open all, but one made from the accessory locks will not necessarily operate the key-switch lock.
It would really be best to remove the key-switch and take that to the locksmith.
If you don't want to mess with drilling out the anti-tamper shear bolts, then just take the top triple off the forks (of course need to remove the bars) and take the yoke with key-switch attached. You pretty much have to go through those steps anyway to get access to the screws, even if you did decide to drill them out.

Gas cap - again my knowledge is based on other Triumph models - there is a hidden screw that is only accessible once you open the cap - so is not possible to remove a cap assembly that is locked, without first getting it unlocked.

ilco
X270. TMC1 7E1AB18F-3F99-42F0-B38D-D42A3C9BB5E1.jpeg
Plow Horse, you were absolutely right! In truth I did both... I bought two blanks from a Triumph dealer and then, when I took them into the locksmith, the key maker practiced making a key on a separate blank b4 cutting my "expensive" Triumph blanks (by expensive, I paid $15 apiece... not bad really). I took the seat lock off as per your suggestion in an earlier post and handed it to the locksmith. a few hours later (and $80 out of pocket for the locksmith work) I had a total of 4 keys in my hand: two non-descript generics and two "official" Triumph keys. They work great... problem solved! I have since then removed the gas tank.... oh boy. I'm going to start a new thread on my fuel tank issues... it's a real mess from some seriously bad gas left inside for years. Well, one problem at a time, right?

I would buy a complete lock set on Ebay if there any about.
Hi Mickie, thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad I found another solution and way out as far as the missing key is concerned (see post to Plow Horse). I do think looking on eBay and our own classifieds may be the answer for other parts I will need for this project bike.

Based on the frame number and providing ownership documents, any Triumph dealer should be able to get you original keys. The elegant way.
Thanks, Aquilla & Gregger. Maybe the gal behind the counter who helped me didn't know she could look the VIN up and get me a code. I gave her the VIN and she found blanks which would work but didn't offer anything like a code. Hmm. Well, it's okay now as I did get a locksmith to cut me new keys using my existing eat lock as a guide. I do appreciate your suggestion though as it would probably have been less money and certainly less effort than what I did. We live & learn :)

Back