Old Biker New Rocket

DMC

.020 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Greetings, R3 Forum Fans,
About 50 years ago I purchased my first bike (a little Yamaha Omaha Trailmaster). Not long after that I began finding various Brit bikes for sale (most needed work). Fast forward to 2020 and here I am by God's grace still riding... and still working on some of England's finest. I recently purchased a non-running 2005 Rocket III that had been neglected and set aside for more than a decade. I am the 3rd owner; the previous owner got the R3 w/o keys so naturally I'm having to begin right there: no keys, locked tank, bad fuel, missing seat and signals. This bike presents lots of challenges for me but it seems like a worthwhile endeavor to take on. I need to go about getting keys made for it for if anyone is reading this and has a suggestion, I would welcome it. I look forward to becoming part of the forum; my thanks to all of you who helped in creating and contributing to it.

Greetings, R3 Forum Fans,
About 50 years ago I purchased my first bike (a little Yamaha Omaha Trailmaster). Not long after that I began finding various Brit bikes for sale (most needed work). Fast forward to 2020 and here I am by God's grace still riding... and still working on some of England's finest. I recently purchased a non-running 2005 Rocket III that had been neglected and set aside for more than a decade. I am the 3rd owner; the previous owner got the R3 w/o keys so naturally I'm having to begin right there: no keys, locked tank, bad fuel, missing seat and signals. This bike presents lots of challenges for me but it seems like a worthwhile endeavor to take on. I need to go about getting keys made for it for if anyone is reading this and has a suggestion, I would welcome it. I look forward to becoming part of the forum; my thanks to all of you who helped in creating and contributing to it.
As locks and lockpicking is a little hobby of mine, I can offer what I would do in this case.

I would pick the locks to get them open, then look at either getting new barrels with matching key (easiest) or dissasseble and make up a pattern based on the current tumble configuration (hardest)

As locks and lockpicking is a little hobby of mine, I can offer what I would do in this case.

I would pick the locks to get them open, then look at either getting new barrels with matching key (easiest) or dissasseble and make up a pattern based on the current tumble configuration (hardest)
Thank you for taking a moment and replying, Jason. I'm not skilled at picking locks but I can try removing the ignition switch and taking it to a locksmith... there's probably no royal road to solving it but your suggestions sound like a place for me to start.

Thank you for taking a moment and replying, Jason. I'm not skilled at picking locks but I can try removing the ignition switch and taking it to a locksmith... there's probably no royal road to solving it but your suggestions sound like a place for me to start.
Removing the ignition is a great idea, but they are a ***** to get to and have those tamper proof screws. I've never removed the fuel cover but it might be a viable option to take to the locksmith. Uses the same key!

Removing the ignition is a great idea, but they are a ***** to get to and have those tamper proof screws. I've never removed the fuel cover but it might be a viable option to take to the locksmith. Uses the same key!
I read about those! Well, my tank fuel cap/lid assembly is pretty stuck to the tank opening. I sprayed a little PB Blaster carefully into each screw thread opening and around the perimeter between the chrome fascia of the gas cap lid and the tank itself, then gently pulled upward using a plastic putty knife around the edges... still not budging. Jason, I agree with you about the seeming "ease" of removing the tank cap v. the ignition switch... any suggestions on getting a locked cap in a stuck lid off w/o damaging anything?

I haven't removed the fuel filler before so can't really offer an advice...sorry mate. I just know the ignition switch is a real bastard.

I haven't removed the fuel filler before so can't really offer an advice...sorry mate. I just know the ignition switch is a real bastard.
I appreciate your honesty, Jason! Well, I'll try a little more at removing the tank/cap assembly... if I am still not successful I guess I'll need to tackle those beloved screws holding the switch on. My best to you and my thanks for replying :)

An alternative to removing the ignition, is to install a remote system.
I did it on mine, cost me around $60 and a leisurely Saturday arvo.
Will still need to sort out the filler though.

Back