Old Biker New Rocket

U might pull the right side cover and remove the latch asy seat let me try that again the key asy that triggers the seat latch.
i was going to take it to the locksmith but the wife found my key.

Took mine out this summer when I broke the key off in the lock. Had to dismantle the lock to remove the key (don’t ask). The lock is a very simplistic design. I think any locksmith would/could very easily make a key for it.

An alternative to removing the ignition, is to install a remote system.
I did it on mine, cost me around $60 and a leisurely Saturday arvo.
Will still need to sort out the filler though.
Can you point me in the direction where I can learn more about one of these, Jason? Thank you!

Hi Plow Horse, how does the side cover come off? What's left of my seat is of course "locked" into position... is there some way of removing the rt side cover without messing the cover up too bad with the seat still in place? BTW, a dog literally chewed all the fabric and foam portion of my seat off (signals too) before I got the R3. Pit bulls get hungry I guess lol. I could afford to sacrifice the seat at this point by drilling through all the retaining mount rivets that are normally covered by the foam and fabric if I need to to remove the rt side cover. Your thoughts or suggestions?

U might pull the right side cover and remove the latch asy seat let me try that again the key asy that triggers the seat latch.
i was going to take it to the locksmith but the wife found my key.
Hi Turbo, I read your thoughtful suggestion. Do I need to have my seat off first or can I get the cover off with the seat (what remains of it) still on the bike? Thanks!

In your first post use said you were missing the seat. I took it as that is was not there. If the seat is shot the easiest thing would be to sacrifice the seat pickup a used one. The side cover comes off by removing two bolts that are covered by the seat.

In your first post use said you were missing the seat. I took it as that is was not there. If the seat is shot the easiest thing would be to sacrifice the seat pickup a used one. The side cover comes off by removing two bolts that are covered by the seat.
My bad. It was easier to just say the seat was missing but the full story is that all but the seat pan was consumed by the previous owner's young pit bull (don't ask). WHht you suggested makes sense to me. I can sacrifice what's left of my seat if that will get me the access to the bolts required bolts holding the rt side cover on. Thanks, PH... I greatly appreciate it. My apologies for any misdirect or confusion created in my intro re the "dog-gone" seat.

My bad. It was easier to just say the seat was missing but the full story is that all but the seat pan was consumed by the previous owner's young pit bull (don't ask). WHht you suggested makes sense to me. I can sacrifice what's left of my seat if that will get me the access to the bolts required bolts holding the rt side cover on. Thanks, PH... I greatly appreciate it. My apologies for any misdirect or confusion created in my intro re the "dog-gone" seat.
You could try to drill a hole through the seat pan where the latch is to see if you can grab the cable to give it a pull and release the seat. Cable pulls towards the seat lock. If that doesn’t work sacrifice the seat pan. What have you got to lose?

That helps a lot, PH. I will go out to barn tomorrow and carefully drill it. I have the advantage (thanks to 'Wonder-Dog') of seeing on the top of the seat pan what looks like two rivets "possibly" holding the male end of the seat lock latch to the bottom of the seat. If, after I grind those off, I still can't pull the seat up, I will follow your suggestion & drill a hole near where it seems the latch is and hopefull get a tug-hold on that cable. Who knows what's under the seat... maybe there's a spare key in the tool kit (if it has one). It's all conjecture at this point. If you'd like I can let you know what happens when I'm done drilling...

Back