Oily sump - [now sticky: excellent explanations of case separation and input shaft removal]

I agree less then 20 bucks prabably just the gasket. Good opertunity for sump screen cleaning. Triumph say's to renew the little screen bolts. Warp say's they are lazy apply medium grade thread locker (blue) after cleaning the complete sump with a can if brake cleaner. Don't forget the two bolts just inside the side stand a few inches more then the outer perimeter bolts. Or you will be scrathing your head. Look the sump pan.over after cleaning incase you suffered a unknown collision and cracked it. You wouldn't be the first for sure.
Thanks a lot for this, much appreciated. Should I replace the gasket? Or just clean it up? Also, people mention replacing the washers, screw and what not... what’s your take on these?

Thanks a lot for this, much appreciated. Should I replace the gasket? Or just clean it up? Also, people mention replacing the washers, screw and what not... what’s your take on these?
Yes new gasket its under 20 bucks. All the perimeter bolts are reused. The little sump screen bolts 3 per screen is what triumph says to replace.pictured below dots next to them
20181004_165857.jpg

Myself like stated above clean everything with brake clean because it evaporates. Then apply medium grade thread locker. You can get a pen of it at like advance auto parts or any other local auto parts store. Doesn't have to be loctite brand. Just a medium grade blue as for crush washers I have a sack somewhere but haven't ever changed one yet. I change oil every 5000 miles and reuse the washers. You need to figure out why its leaking. Impact with a shift or possible damage, someone already have it off ? Thats why cleaning and unspecting is important. And double check the filter that us a mess under there maybe spray ?

Yes new gasket its under 20 bucks. All the perimeter bolts are reused. The little sump screen bolts 3 per screen is what triumph says to replace.pictured below dots next to them
20181004_165857.jpg

Myself like stated above clean everything with brake clean because it evaporates. Then apply medium grade thread locker. You can get a pen of it at like advance auto parts or any other local auto parts store. Doesn't have to be loctite brand. Just a medium grade blue as for crush washers I have a sack somewhere but haven't ever changed one yet. I change oil every 5000 miles and reuse the washers. You need to figure out why its leaking. Impact with a shift or possible damage, someone already have it off ? Thats why cleaning and unspecting is important. And double check the filter that us a mess under there maybe spray ?

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll do a thorough cleanup this weekend (ordered the different stuff I need - I’m not a mechanic but I’m learning).
I jumped a few curb (unintentionally) and I see a few scratches but nothing recent comes to mind. I’ll let you know what I find :)

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll do a thorough cleanup this weekend (ordered the different stuff I need - I’m not a mechanic but I’m learning).
I jumped a few curb (unintentionally) and I see a few scratches but nothing recent comes to mind. I’ll let you know what I find :)
Ok now were getting somewhere as a possible cause. Hopefully you did not crack it. Why I don't have a extra one laying around. Mine went to NZ. I've also seen them get crack riding up on a trailer with a flat. Since your not a mechanic persay make sure you gst a small torque wrench like 3/8" drive. You do not want to over torqge the bolts and strip threads out of the block. In fact if you don't feel like you can do it there is nothing wrong with having it done verses mucking things up.

Check the filter seat while you're down there.

Some of the listed "compatible" filters ... aren't. They'll touch the engine with the seal but as soon as you start the bike it'll pass right by. HiFlo and K&N don't have these issues.

Ok now were getting somewhere as a possible cause. Hopefully you did not crack it. Why I don't have a extra one laying around. Mine went to NZ. I've also seen them get crack riding up on a trailer with a flat. Since your not a mechanic persay make sure you gst a small torque wrench like 3/8" drive. You do not want to over torqge the bolts and strip threads out of the block. In fact if you don't feel like you can do it there is nothing wrong with having it done verses mucking things up.

Thanks, just trying to get my hands dirty and get to “know” a bit more. I got myself a torque wrench to make sure I’m not going too hard as you mentioned. I’m pretty sure i can get to it, y’all helping a lot!

....All the perimeter bolts are reused. The little sump screen bolts 3 per screen is what triumph says to replace.pictured below dots next to them.

.....clean everything with brake clean because it evaporates. Then apply medium grade thread locker. .....

@warp9.9 I have my sump off now.

• Can I reuse the screen bolts if I use blue Loctite?

• Are you saying to use blue Loctite on *all* the bolts, including perimeter, or just on the screen bolts?

• How careful do you need to be with brake cleaner in contact with the painted surface of the sump?

Thanks- Blake

Back