Well I'm now 99% positive the oil leak is coming from the rear engine case gasket. It's going to cost between $540-600.00 to repair it. Looks like I know what Santa is getting me for Christmas this year. Ouch!

Hey ... better than socks and jocks ... don't you reckon. Guess i see it like this " if i want to play sometimes i'll have to pay" just the way it rolls ;)

I had the same problem on my 08 Classic a couple of years ago.(Oil on back of engine like the rear gasket had gone).I thought it was the head gasket but on close inspection the oil on the rear of the engine didn't come up that far. Took my bike to stealers where they told me yes ,engine out new gasket on rear of engine. WRONG! It was the oil seal on the rear diff unit that had gone,sounds crazy but true . Not sayin it's the same on yours just lettin ya know.Triumph came good and replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the tip kipper. I guess it's possible that it's the differential gasket, but I don't think so as the oil dribbles down from the right side vise the left. I'll check it one more time before I make my decision to take it in. I'm bumbed as we have a couple nice upper 60 degree days this week that I would normally ride to work, but I'm not into cleaning up oil after every ride. I know it's a mechanical thing and it can happen to anyone, but I had my Honda VTX 1800R for four years and I bought it used with 12,000 miles on it and never did anything to it except regular maintenance.

Thanks for the tip kipper. I guess it's possible that it's the differential gasket, but I don't think so as the oil dribbles down from the right side vise the left. I'll check it one more time before I make my decision to take it in. I'm bumbed as we have a couple nice upper 60 degree days this week that I would normally ride to work, but I'm not into cleaning up oil after every ride. I know it's a mechanical thing and it can happen to anyone, but I had my Honda VTX 1800R for four years and I bought it used with 12,000 miles on it and never did anything to it except regular maintenance.
Sorry to hear but remember the Rocket not a ambiguous run of the mill Jap bike :)

As soon as we get a morning above 40 degrees and the new tires I just ordered today arrive my beast will be going in for the repair and to mount & balance new tires. Looks like around $1,100.00 to get it all done. Ouch!

Bike in the shop as of yesterday afternoon. I got a call two hours after dropping it off and was told it's the head gasket. It's not going to be better from a money standpoint, nor do I like the idea of the engine being opened up, but I trust these guys and it needs to be done. If all goes well it will cost me $800.00 for the repair and that also includes mounting and balancing of two new tires. I guess I'll look at it as my late Christmas present to myself.

Bike in the shop as of yesterday afternoon. I got a call two hours after dropping it off and was told it's the head gasket. It's not going to be better from a money standpoint, nor do I like the idea of the engine being opened up, but I trust these guys and it needs to be done. If all goes well it will cost me $800.00 for the repair and that also includes mounting and balancing of two new tires. I guess I'll look at it as my late Christmas present to myself.
As I said my 08 had a faulty head gasket it was replaced under warranty (10,000km) due to the fact it was a known fact that a batch of faulty head gasket had slipped thru Quality Control in the Late07 early 08 model built bikes bikes, check the build date on compilance plate, I would hit the dealer up to check with Triumph it might just cost you what it cost me ..... Zip.. nada ...zilch.... zero :)

I hear you hanso, but given the fact that I'm not the original owner and with the bike now being so far out of warranty I'm thinking that probably won't be an option. I'm pretty sure at this point if I was to even try to get Triumph to pick up the tab I'd have to make it happen on my own. I have no clue as to who to contact here in the states?

Back